Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom w/pumping delimma

Default New mom w/pumping delimma

Please help, I wasn't able to get my baby to latch on so I decided to pump every 2-3 hrs and feed it via a bottle. The baby is just 2 wks old and when I pump I get only 1.5- 2 oz on each breast. Is this normal? b/c last wk I got more... what do I need to do?

Default Re: New mom w/pumping delimma

Your baby will always be more efficient than a pump at getting milk out of your breast. Have you considered working with an IBCLC or a local LLL leader to help you? They'll be able to do a lot more with you in person than we can online.

That being said, a lot depends on what kind of pump you're using. It is hospital grade? Electric? Manual? Are you using a high or low suction setting? Do your breast shields fit you properly (sometimes you need a different size to create better suction)?

Are you waking up to pump during the night? If you're not pumping for long stretches of time (like 8 hours overnight), your supply will diminish. Personally, I find the best time for me to pump is early morning around 5 or 6 am (and I'm doing it to build up a freezer stash/have some extra on hand for DH to help out).

Also, sometimes your LO may actually latch BETTER when he/she is sleepy. Have you tried this?

Remember also that it's important that you stay rested (it's hard with a newborn, I know!), and are eating and drinking well and taking care of yourself.

Good luck!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

try theese links
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

there are lots of hints to increase pumping output.
    your baby is still very young and there is some hope that you can get them back to the breast. Some babies it just takes longer for them to figure it out.

heres alink about getting baby back to the breast

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    Please help, I wasn't able to get my baby to latch on so I decided to pump every 2-3 hrs and feed it via a bottle. The baby is just 2 wks old and when I pump I get only 1.5- 2 oz on each breast. Is this normal? b/c last wk I got more... what do I need to do?
    Its pretty close to perfect. A baby only needs around 1 1-1/2 oz for every hour. I would pump more often to tell you the truth. A bb that age would be on the breast every hour and a half to two hours. Buy some Fenugreek pills at the health food store or GNC. They help boost your supply. Also when you pump try looking at your baby to stimulate a better let down.
    Have you considered contacting your local LLL leader to get help with latching? NOW is the TIME!

Sounds like the right amount to me, I EP and I pumped every 2 hrs, then after several weeks I switched to every 3 and a 6 hr stretch at night. Now I do every 3.5 hrs with a 7 hr stretch at night (6 pumps in a 24 hr period). I still have plenty of milk. I think the key is pumping often in the beginning to build up a supply.

Thank you all for your comments they were very helpful.