Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Removing LO from breast

Default Removing LO from breast

I've been using my pinky to unlatch my LO, but sometimes he beats me to it and comes off as if it were a lolly pop. I guess I have to be better at watching when he's done, right? Otherwise, things are going well. Each day I feel more comfortable with the position I use. Since he's a newborn I find it easier using the cross cradle hold since it gives me more control of his head.

Also, unrelated question. Is it best to change his diaper after the feeding or in between. I guess I will learn his pattern soon. He's asleep when he comes off, but the diaper change wakes him up quickly.

Your suggestions are appreciated! With these super aborbant pampers it's sometimes even hard to tell if he has peed. My milk came in yesterday, so it seems they'll be less confusion.

I can't believe I can know post questions with my LO in my arms
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Removing LO from breast

Don't feel like your missing the boat if he pops off by himself! BF Babies self regulate. Him popping off when he's done eating is completely normal. The technique of popping a baby off with your finger is about correcting a latch. If you need to relatch your child because the latch is painful, using your finger undoes the suction. If his latch is fine, he should be coming off on his own whenever he's done!

Way too lazy for formula

Congrats again mama! I can't believe you're posting now about your LO. I would nurse Shiloh on one side and then change his diaper and then nurse him on the other side. But then he started pooping after the second side, and then he only nursed on one side...so it changed from time to time. You'll figure out what works for you.

If Colin wakes up after you try to change him, you can always latch him back on and nurse him back to sleep.

Any problems with engorgement? Keep nursing nursing nursing, and you'll get the hang of things soon!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

If Colin wakes up after you try to change him, you can always latch him back on and nurse him back to sleep.

Any problems with engorgement? Keep nursing nursing nursing, and you'll get the hang of things soon![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! So far no problems with engorgement. I felt some pain 2 days ago, but I kept nursing and today my breasts feel softer. Thanks for asking
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Where's the picture of Colin?

condgrads!
    ITs a boy! yeah..
    I'm glad things are going well...

I agree with the PP and just wanted to send my congratulations!!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk