Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fybrocystic breast

Default fybrocystic breast

hi. i was told by my midwife that i had a fybrocystic breast. she diagnosed me by feeling an elongated lump in my breast. i don't know if this is directly related to lactation or not. this breast gets very painful when it becomes engorged...i also get a bit feverish. i know it seems like mastitis but it goes away fairly quickly if i make sure my baby nurses a bunch off that breast. so what exactly is a fybrocystic breast and is it normal? should i be concerned? thankyou. sonia

Default Re: fybrocystic breast

Hi there

Fibrocystic breast disease is not related to lactation. Some women simply have "lumpy breasts" whether they are breastfeeding or not. Here is what The Breastfeeding Answer Book (97 ed., pg 427) says:

"There is no generally agreed upon definition for fibrocystic disease and its existence is the subject of controversy. Some describe it simply as breast lumpiness (Love 1995). Many women also ahve other symptoms, which may or may not be related to their breast lumps, such as breast pain and tenderness. Many women report that their symptoms are most severe during the time around their menstrual period.

"Many women find that their breast lumps are fewer and that the pain and tenderness is reduced or relieved during pregnancy. For some women, breastfeeding delays the return of their symptoms. Some women have found relief by eliminating all caffeine and related products from their diet."

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

jen, thanks for your reply. what do you think about the pain and feverishness if i get engorged in that breast. is there such a thing as mild mastitis and would it occur only in the one breast? sonia

Hello Again!

My guess is maybe you are getting repeated clogged ducts or early mastitis and clearing it up by nursing frequently. And yes, mastitis usually occurs on just one side. If you're having this problem repeatedly, you may want to see if there is anything you can change. Here' are some articles about repeated mastitis and breast pain:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I have this, too! Mine hurt sporadically

My boyfriend is an OBGYN & shared the research with me through the hospital library ... it doens't effect nursing (although he also couldn't remember or find anything specific about a correlation to Mastitis, which I did get often but might be because I also have Crohns Disease) -- anyway, Vitmin E supplements can help as can eliminating caffiene from your diet
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....