Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleepy baby but feeds well?

Default Sleepy baby but feeds well?

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, my beautiful baby girl is a week old! This seems like a wonderful forum. Just a quick update on her before I ask my questions:

She was born at 8 pounds 11 ounces and dropped 11% of her body weight.
    She was urinating only 3 times per day despite frequent successful feeding sessions. With attempts of supplementation of formula at each of 8 feedings in less than a 24 hour period her urine output increased and weigh gain was observed to go from 7 lbs 12 ounces to 8 pounds 4 ounces. I am not using any more formula and don't plan to. I pumped enough milk to indicate I am finally producing enough, which I wasn't before.

My question is this: She sleeps all the time. I must wake her for every feeding. When she nurses, she does not typically fall asleep although frequent stimulation is needed to keep her going. Is this amount of sleeping normal? And is it necessary for her to be actively alert before I feed her?

Default Re: Sleepy baby but feeds well?

Hello and Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

I found that each of my children were sleeping almost all the time during the first two weeks.

Your situation sounds familiar for two of my babies. I was waking them to feed and had to sometimes undress them and make sure to talk to them and rub their feet etc to keep them awake and actively nursing.

I do not think that babies have to be awake for awhile before nursing.

I made sure to keep my eyes on the clock for one of my guys. He would sleep 5 hours before I could wake him and that is dangerous if it is happening all day. He wasn't nursing enough.

I found that if I woke(started to talk to, change diaper, sing to etc) my babies at about 2- 2.5 hours during the day, my milk supply was fine.

There is sometimes one time where a baby will naturally sleep 4 or 5 hours (considered sleeping through the night) that for my guys was never during the night. LOL

Anyways I am going on and on, what I am trying say is that so long as your baby isn't sleeping /missing nursings then it is fine.
    Your baby will start in a few weeks to have longer stretches of being awake and will start to be more interactive.

Congratulations again. Enjoy getting to know your baby!

Thanks Lynn! It seems like in talking to my husband, she has been spending "awake time" with him in the mornings for about an hour the last few days, which makes me feel a little bit better, too.

I sat here laughing thinkg, " Wouldn't you know it. The dad gets the play time." LOL I am glad you are feeling better about it.

When you can separate nervousness that makes you feel like something is wrong, you can hear a mom of four tell you to enjoy the quiet, because you'll never have such quiet. LOL

Children are so wonderful and as they get older, noisy! LOL

Enjoy!

My little guy used to have to be woken up for all his daytime feedings, and had to be kept awake during those feedings. We had to strip him down to his diaper and put cool cloths on his feet to keep him awake enough to eat. You defintely aren't alone, and to me it sounds perfectly normal.

I don't think she needs to be actively alert, I think babies have a built in instinct to nurse if it's offered. My son sleeps through his night nursings, so it can be done.

its not uncommon for babies to loose that might weight in the hospital.
    and if you had an iv during labor the baby might have had extra water weight from the iv.
    It may take up to two weeks for baby to regain thier birth weight.
    so it sounds like you are right on track.

Sounds like she's doing great! And the sleeping so much is very normal. My daughter slept SO MUCH and although I have two older kids, I couldn't remember if it was normal! I kept a journal on both of them and I pulled them out and sure enough....they did the same thing!

I had to CONSTANTLY do things to keep her awake while nursing for at least the first month. I would tickle her, take some of her clothes off, all kind of things. She was a snoozer. Not now! lol!!!
    She's 4.5 mos.

like a pp said, enjoy all this quiet time cause soon enough it's all gone and you will be wishing for it back. My ds was like that at first but now I can't get him to sleep at all during the day time. However he's sleeping through the night 8 sometimes 10 hrs.

I was wondering the same thing about my 5 week old. I know it's normal for a brand-new newborn to sleep alot, but mine is 5 wks old now. Should he still be constantly falling alseep at the breast? He barely gets much awake time during the day (maybe 45 minutes after each feeding, and sometimes won't wake up after falling asleep while nursing), but will wake up for feedings every 2.5-3 hours. Shouldn't he be spending more time awake by now? He goes 4-5 hours between feedings at night. Lastly, What is cluster feeding? Do babies do this towards the evening because our milk supply is lower at that time and they want to eat at sooner intervals? My breasts feel so empty around 6:00 p.m. or so... is my milk still there?