Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this pain normal?

Default Is this pain normal?

I am pumping for my daughter who is 4 wks and woke up today with extreme pain in my right one. It has always been a little sore, and I have never been able to get as much milk out of it as the other, but today the pain is about a 10, almost bringing me to tears . Doesn't feel like it is clogged, but I don't know, has anyone else had this and do you have any suggestions??? Please help!!

kmshaw4

Default Re: Is this pain normal?

Exactly what hurts? Is it the breast tissue, the nipple, areola? I had pain that I think was just a clogged duct but my Dr. said was mastitis. The whole breast hurt, expecially when I would rest my LO on that side holding her. Whatever it is, for now I would make sure to be really good about pumping as often as possible, as that will help if either of these is the problem. although I have heard you can get nerve damage from incorrect latch, I don't know if that could happen from a pump. Just something to consider. Sorry it this isn't much help, but hang in there!

The pain is mostly in the aerola, this morning I woke up and it was very swollen, trying heat and pumping often and it is not helping. Probably should just call doc on monday. The pain seems to shoot straight through the entire breast, how can you tell if it is clogged, is it obvious? Thanks for any help.

kmshaw4

Quote Originally Posted by kmshaw4 View Post
    The pain is mostly in the aerola, this morning I woke up and it was very swollen, trying heat and pumping often and it is not helping. The pain seems to shoot straight through the entire breast, how can you tell if it is clogged, is it obvious? Thanks for any help.

kmshaw4
    What do you know about thrush? Check here: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T028100.asp
    Also here is info on impacted ducts, which it sounds like you may have: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    hope these help. Nose around on these sites for other info as well! Big hug!

It really sounds like you could have mastitis. And even if you don't - you must be pretty engorged. You may need to try some warm compresses and stuff to try to release the pressure and get so you will be able to pump. I also heard some stuff about cabbage leaf compresses, but I don't have the details on that as I have not had to use them... I hope you are OK and get some relief, good luck!

rest rest rest... I took any breast pain as an excuse to take the baby to bed and rest.
    heres a good short read about figureing out whats wrong
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

any fever and you should call your doctor right away.
    hope you are fealing beter soon.