Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am i doing this right?

Default am i doing this right?

i've just barely started introducing solids to my 6 month old dd.. so far banana, avocado and sweet potatoes.... she eats it.. doesn't spit even a bit out.. but i've only offered a few times and only once a day.. she eats about a tablespoon each time. i nurse her before and after just incase, cause i never know when she is done nursing. she has always been a frequent nurser for short bouts. i was wondering when i should start offering more than once a day? and i'm concerned about her getting constipated.. is the key a variety of foods?? also.. i havent bought any of the purees yet, just mashed up my own.. i'm not doing the child-led pieces she can feed to herself cause when i tried w/banana, she gagged up a huge hunk of it and scarred the crap out of me. has anyone had their lo's self wean early or nurse less due to solids??

Default Re: am i doing this right?

once a day is great for a 6 month old.. By the time they are about 2 they should be eating mostly table foods and not nursing so much. Some babies that have trouble with food allergies get a very slow start to soild foods.and that's just fine for them.

We are at the exact same stage with our 6 mo. old! August gets "real" food (for lack of a better word) once a day. He only eats a couple tablespoons, if that. We started with bananas and then did sweet potatoes, pears and acorn squash. I mushed them up myself as well. He likes the food, but it's more of a novelty and way to experience new textures. Somedays we don't get around to it, and he just exclusively nurses. He hasn't had any problems with constipation whatsoever. I've read that rice cereal, bananas and applesauce could cause constipation (applesauce because it contains the pectin from the fruit), but again, bananas haven't bothered him one bit. And we skipped cereal. Maybe nursing babies don't encounter the constipation with those foods as much as FF babies. Many moms have told me, the slower you introduce foods, the better, so we don't get in a real hurry.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I thought you would like to know we're doing the same thing and all is going well!

Breast milk can be the main food source for a baby for the first year. BM is the healthiest wholesomest food for a baby during their first year. I also have a 6 month old dd who doesn't eat solid food every day but she does enjoy sweet potato (high in iron), and she also liked banana, but didn't like carrot. I also BF her 1st, then feed her the solid food. I also think it's best to feed them the good stuff 1st.

I think rice cereal can cause constipation in some babies. Only one of my twins has had that problem and I have had to back track with the solids. I had them up to 2x a day after just a wk or 2 of trying solids. I am back to once a day and NO rice cereal. My Dr. prefers fruits and veggies for now and wasn't a pusher on the rice cereal. DS has had reg. poopies diapers so far but it took a few days of no solids.

Quote Originally Posted by stressball View Post
    and i'm concerned about her getting constipated.. is the key a variety of foods?? also.. i havent bought any of the purees yet, just mashed up my own.. i'm not doing the child-led pieces she can feed to herself cause when i tried w/banana, she gagged up a huge hunk of it and scarred the crap out of me. has anyone had their lo's self wean early or nurse less due to solids??
    Negative Ghostrider! If she shows any signs of constipation (Dark brown SMALL pellets (Stinky marbles) cut out the banana. But DJ is at 3 solid meals a day and 2or 3 snacks and he still nurses 6-8x a day. Your fine. Just follow her ques. Made it to the 6month mark huh? Congrats!

Way too lazy for formula