Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: power pumping??

Default power pumping??

What is this and has anyone tried it? If so, did your supply increase a lot?

Default Re: power pumping??

I have no idea either but I noticed something ironic on your post, my DS was born Oct 22, 06, 6 lbs 11 ounces and 21 inches long, almost the same as yours.

Not sure but I saw a response to a question the other day by one of the leaders saying to pump every 10 min for an hour? Something like that. I'll try and find it.

Power Pumping

Catherine Watson Genna, BS, IBCLC, has developed the following alternative pumping strategy for mothers who are having a difficult time fitting pumping into their busy daytime routines. It has been successful for many mothers and may be worth trying.

* Place the breast pump in a convenient location in your home, somewhere that you will pass often and where you will be comfortable sitting or standing.
    * Every time you pass the pump, use it for five to ten minutes or so. Stop when you begin to feel “antsy” or annoyed. You can pump as often as every 45 minutes; pumping more often than that may not be helpful.
    * Do not wash the kit every time; you can cover it with a clean towel between uses. Wash the kit every four to six hours, depending on the temperature in your home. (Of course, this does not apply if you are pumping and saving the milk for an ill or preterm infant.)
    * Aim for pumping at least ten times every day.
    * Try to get an afternoon nap, and a four to six hour stretch of sleep at night. Do not wake up specifically to pump, but if the baby wakes you up, try to get in a quick pumping before you go back to sleep.

This is what I read in the post by one of the leaders the other day

9. Consider power pumping at least once per day. This is where you pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 for a total of 60 minutes (30 minutes of pumping). This technique mimics cluster feeding and it often helps to trigger an icrease in production.

I power pumped at the same time every day for about 3 days and saw a good increase in my supply! It was worth it to me!

what is power pumping?