Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: suggestions on buying pump

Default suggestions on buying pump

I am a new mother and new to LLL. I tried the whole breastfeeding thing for a week, but ended up in tears, bloody nipples, and cringing when I knew it was time to feed again. A visiting nurse convinced me to try pumping on one of her visits. I tried and it was successful and pretty much painless, as opposed to when my daughter would latch on and send knives through my breasts. The only problem with pumping so far is that I am using a manual Ameda pump from the hospital and my hand gets very sore from pumping about every 3 hours. Many new moms suggested the Ameda Purely Yours, since I have the attachments from the hospital. Should I buy new or used? I only have two collection bottles, so where can I buy other parts to go with a used pump? I am also afraid that if I spend the money on a new one, my milk supply will go away. I get anywhere from 3 to 4 oz each pumping session (total from both sides). That seems low to me, but then again I don't know since she is my first. I definitely want her to get my milk, but it is getting more frustrating, esp with a hand pump!!! Any suggestions...open for ANYTHING!!!

Default Re: suggestions on buying pump

I haven't really tried pumps to be an authority on it, I just use an Evenflo pump I bought at Wal-Mart for $40 something, and it works just fine for me. As far as I know, all pumps should take just the standard size bottles, so you should be able to pick those up pretty much anywhere. sounds like you're pumping a pretty decent amount (to figure out how much milk your LO needs per feeding, multiply 2.5 times his/her body weight, and divide by the number of feedings per day and you'll see it should be plenty for now - though I've noticed through weighing when nursing my LO eats more from a bottle than from the breast). It sounds like you have a latch problem with your little one - from experience I have to say Go talk to someone about it immediately if you would like to continue to try to BF. I procrastinated about it while pumping and bottle feeding and gave my LO lots of time to develop bad habits from the bottle and from trying to BF and not doing it right! How I wish I knew at 1 week what I know now! Hope everything works out for you. Let us know how it goes!

I have an Amdea PY and it's used. It's a closed system so it should be fine used.
    The Ameda website sell ALL the replacement parts on it. Right down to the flat disks that go in the places that hold nipples!

Way too lazy for formula

I use the Avent pump and LOVE it. It was so worth the money. I think you will be even more successful with a good electric pump. You might even find that your milk increases - and they are MUCH more comfortable. I've used both, but if you want to maintain your milk supply, go with electric. I have several friends at LLL that started pumping to help increase their supplies. And they are SO much faster. I pump about 10 minutes and get almost 8 ounces total. Buying a used one will be fine, as DJ's Mom noted. If you want supplies, just google Ameda, and you'll find lots of websites where you can buy extra parts, bottles, etc. I work three days a week and pump nearly every day so that I have extra in the freezer and so that my husband can feed ds sometimes. Best of luck!

I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced, and have really been pleased with it. I really like the letdown function on the pump -- it really gets my milk flowing quickly. This morning, for instance, I pumped 3 oz AFTER a long feeding in just under 10 minutes! I was able to get several letdowns.

This pump is pricey ($315), but it's holding up well through rugged and frequent use, and I plan to use it when we have other children, too. I had a preemie, so I probably could have gotten my insurance to cover it, but didn't know that at the time...

You can also typically find better deals on the internet for pumps (I had to run out and get mine pretty quickly, so we wound up paying full price at Babies R Us. I still think it was worth it).

However, when I consider that cost against what it would cost to formula feed for a year (see this site: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pre...benefits.html), it's actually cheaper. Plus, if my supply starts to drop, I can use the pump to help keep it up.

Good luck!