Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iron in Breastmilk?

Question Iron in Breastmilk?

Can anyone tell me about breastmilk and iron? I thought I read once that breastmilk was generally very high in iron. We skipped the whole cereal stage and went right to bananas, avacadoes, squash, etc. but have had comments that our baby won't get enough iron. I ignore them with a nice smile (!), but I just wondered if what I had read about iron in breastmilk was true, or if my sometimes tired brain conjured up that tidbit of information! Ha!

Default Re: Iron in Breastmilk?

I don't have all the cold hard facts for you, other than to say that breastmilk does contain iron. It's not in huge amounts, but it's more easily absorbed than iron in cereals.

My son hated baby cereals, so we never fed them, and he didn't want anything to do with regular baby foods, either, so we waited for him to feed himself at around 8-9 months old. He did fine, and we never did iron supplementation.

Lisa

I cant remember the source
    fullterm babies have enough iron stored to last them six months if they werent even getting any iron is the way i understood it.....so.....those levels drop off obviously but since they DO get iron in bm they dont just disappear at 6 months.....
    also, the amount of iron in cereal is minimal.....the amount actually absorbed is even lower....the iron from bm is the most readily absorbed.....dont forget too that some amounts will be absorbed from food eaten as well
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Are you worried your babe is or may be come iron deficient? If ever you are truly concerned you can get a quick test done in the docs office.

Below is just one of the many gems of info out there regarding this very topic. GOod luck (and keep that smiling up! it's the best thing to do when faced with advercity - but know you'll have the information to inform them of the contrary if you feel the need to )

Is Iron supplimentation necessary?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Here's the nutritional data for breastmilk. Though the amount of iron in breastmilk is so low that it doesn't even register on the nut. chart, it is more readily absorbed than a supplement. Also, as pps mentioned, babies are born with iron stores that last at least 6 mos. If you want to introduce iron-rich foods to your LO, watermelon is a good one that most kids will readily accept!

HTH

Thanks to ALL of you! I really appreciate each of your input - the kellymom website is great! I am not worried that August is iron-deficient, I guess I really just wanted to know that what I was thinking was the right thing. And that I didn't need to be poking him full of supplements unless something comes up.

Roxy

bumping