Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Help with breastfeeding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy Help with breastfeeding

    My son is now 4 days old tonight and I started to breast feed him right after he was born and he was latched on correctly however what the lactation consultant told me was he was rubbing his tongue in circles on the end of my nipple which caused a red raw spots which have not yet healed. So they advised me to use the shield until they were healed and keep feeding him off the breasts but this shield woudl allow him to still breast feed. The problem I now have is he one dont like the shield and will vary rarely latch on and the second is my milk has not come in yet. I am currently pumping to try and get my milk to come in however I am so upset over this issue. It is frustrating and I am worried my milk wont come in and I will have to strictly feed him formula. I have been giving him the pumped milk or rather colstrum that I am getting in addition to formula and still having him attempt to latch on. Now today he latched on to one breast but will have nothing to do with the other no matter what I tried. I am just so upset and am looking for advice. If I had to pump for the rest of the time that would be fine with me if I can only get my milk supply to come in. How long should I keep going in hopes for the milk to come in. THanks so much for any help I may recieve. God bless you all

    Jill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    The first week is so rough! I'm sorry to hear that you are having a challenging time. How did your LC determine what your son was doing with his tongue? Are you using Lansinoh to help your nipples heal? Moist healing is good in this situation. It will take some time, though (probably about a week for them to completely heal after everything is going right). If I were you, I would ditch the shields. I would also call another LC, preferable an IBCLC and/or a LLL Leader. Some in person help is really going to help. Your milk can take anywhere from 2 to 7 days to come in, and you are still well within this window. It's really rare for milk to never mature. Right now your son's stomach is tiny and he doesn't need much. As long as you can get him latched on, the colostrum is probably all he needs. Until you can talk to someone, spend as much time skin to skin with your son and nurse, nurse, nurse. Don't give up on getting him to the breast! It is still very early in the game and you are both learning so much right now. Some in person help could also help with positioning and latch. What hold are you using? I found the cross-cradle hold was much easier in the beginning.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    Hi! Congratulations on your new baby!! So exciting and amazing

    I just wanted to second what the previous poster said and post this link. At the bottom of the page there's a picture illustrating the size your LO's tummy. Surprisingly small! Your babe's intake is best judged by his output. This page on Kellymom.com gives a good explanation of what to expect diaper-wise.

    About the shield, would it be possible to nurse without it if you take some tylenol? Also, if you put lansinoh on your nipples in between nursings (you can use a breast pad or soft cloth to cover it so it doesn't stain your bra or clothes) it will speed the healing and protect your nipples from the some of the pain you are experiencing when your LO is latched on.

    Best of luck and kudos to you for working so hard to do what you know is best for your little one and yourself!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    My son is now 4 days old tonight and I started to breast feed him right after he was born and he was latched on correctly however what the lactation consultant told me was he was rubbing his tongue in circles on the end of my nipple which caused a red raw spots which have not yet healed. So they advised me to use the shield until they were healed and keep feeding him off the breasts but this shield woudl allow him to still breast feed.
    Did the IBCLC give you any suggestions to prevent the rubbing? It doesn't sound like baby is latched on well if her tongue is rubbing the tips of your nipple.

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    The problem I now have is he one dont like the shield and will vary rarely latch on
    Is the shield uncomfortable?

    How often is he latching on?

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    and the second is my milk has not come in yet. I am currently pumping to try and get my milk to come in however I am so upset over this issue. It is frustrating and I am worried my milk wont come in and I will have to strictly feed him formula.
    Keep pumping, and nursing as often as your baby will. Your milk will come in!.

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I have been giving him the pumped milk or rather colstrum that I am getting in addition to formula and still having him attempt to latch on. Now today he latched on to one breast but will have nothing to do with the other no matter what I tried.
    Did he suck actively on the first side? Did you hear swallowing (or see pauses in the chin action)? If so, then he may have been satisfied with the first side.


    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I am just so upset and am looking for advice. If I had to pump for the rest of the time that would be fine with me if I can only get my milk supply to come in. How long should I keep going in hopes for the milk to come in. THanks so much for any help I may recieve. God bless you all
    Don't give up hope! Keep on removing milk by pumping or nursing. Your supply will eventually come in.

    If your milk isn't becoming more plentiful by today, do call your IBCLC and let her know.

    Keep us updated!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,036

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    Hang in there...it will come. My milk came on day 5. The important thing to remember is to offer the breast and pump before offering a supplement so your body can know how much you will need. I found the shield was not very helpful with the pain, but made it worse. Keep reading, keep trying, you can do it!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

    DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    hey guys I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I am sad to report that my milk has still not come in and tonight is night six. I am starting to panic abit. I never imagined this could happen again. I was not so sad last time but this time I am just upset because I have put sooo much work into it. I am going to call the hospital tom and see if they can help me. I am just at a lose. I am still pumping and still trying to breast feed. He is just not much interested which I can understand when he dont get much at all. In about 24 hours or so I get maybe 2 or 3 ounces of colstrum. Just not enough to keep him going. Now he knows the bottle with formula as being the easy way and he is struggling to latch on. Tonight I went to feed him and after nearly 45 minutes I had to stop. I just could not do it anymore. He was so hungry and he was just screaming his lungs out. ANyway I just wanted to post where I am at and thank everyone for their input. I will keep trying until tom when I talk to the hospital to see what they have to say. THanks again and God bless you

    Jill

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    See if the lactation consultants at the hospital can set you up with a supplemental nursing system. Your son will need supplements until your milk comes in, but he doesn't have to get them through a bottle. If he can receive them through a tube at your breast while nursing, you will have an easier time transitioning to full breastfeeding when your milk is in.

    Good luck and keep us posted; we're rooting for you!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I am sad to report that my milk has still not come in and tonight is night six.
    Could you tell us a little bit about your birth experience? Could you also elaborate on your previous breastfeeding experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I am going to call the hospital tom and see if they can help me.
    Wondering what happened there? Hoping you received some extra help and support!

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I am still pumping and still trying to breast feed. He is just not much interested which I can understand when he dont get much at all. In about 24 hours or so I get maybe 2 or 3 ounces of colstrum. Just not enough to keep him going.
    Could you hand express a little to get the flow going? Also, perhaps try breast compressions while he is nursing to help him take in more milk for his efforts. You can see some great info on breast compressions, as well as video demonstrations, on this page:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/newman


    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    Now he knows the bottle with formula as being the easy way and he is struggling to latch on. Tonight I went to feed him and after nearly 45 minutes I had to stop. I just could not do it anymore. He was so hungry and he was just screaming his lungs out. ANyway I just wanted to post where I am at and thank everyone for their input. I will keep trying until tom when I talk to the hospital to see what they have to say. THanks again and God bless you

    1. FEED THE BABY
    2. You could try offering the supplement in the bottle *first* in order to take the edge off his hunger, then offer the breast (keep going with the breast compressions once he gets there!). Here is some info about supplementing before nursing:
    http://www.bfar.org/finishatthebreast.shtml
    Here's some info about paced bottle feedings:
    http://www.bfar.org/bottles.shtml
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    3. Lots of skin to skin contact- him stripped down to a diaper, you lying on your bare chest (you can cover both of you with a blanket if you're chilly).

    On top of all this, PLEASE seek some local help. It's clear that your baby is having some difficulty nursing, but it is also clear that you are determined to feed at the breast. Don't give up! Find someone who can *see* you, evaluate a nursing session or two, and help you with latch and positioning. We can give you information and support, but since we can't see what is going on at the breast, we can't really give you as much help as you could use.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    I just wanted to post again with an update and thank everyone again for your help. I wanted to write and say my milk did finally come in on day 8. However we now have yet another battle on our hands. I do not have no where near enough milk for him. I am pumping and he is finally latching on and nursing pretty good. I am now just praying for more milk for him. He is still hungry after nursing so I have to give him a bottle in addition to the breastfeeding but only about half what he was eating via bottle before. Now my question is for any advice and suggestions as to how to get more of a milk supply. This has been a journey and one that I have fought very hard for in the past month and refuse to give up now. Thanks so much and God bless you all

    Jill

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Help with breastfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by jillie1678 View Post
    I just wanted to post again with an update and thank everyone again for your help. I wanted to write and say my milk did finally come in on day 8. However we now have yet another battle on our hands. I do not have no where near enough milk for him. I am pumping and he is finally latching on and nursing pretty good. I am now just praying for more milk for him. He is still hungry after nursing so I have to give him a bottle in addition to the breastfeeding but only about half what he was eating via bottle before. Now my question is for any advice and suggestions as to how to get more of a milk supply. This has been a journey and one that I have fought very hard for in the past month and refuse to give up now. Thanks so much and God bless you all

    Jill

    It's all supply and demand, the more he nurses, the more your body will make. Don't use any type of pacifier, keep the baby at the breast every time he wants to suck. Also, after he is done nursing, you can pump for 5 mins. afterwards (both sides) to bump up the demand. Good Luck!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •