Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice from other mom's with inverted nipples?

Default Re: Advice from other mom's with inverted nipples?

I had one inverted nipple, on the left!

I just pulled the areola back, pinched the nipple gently to "coax it out" right before feedings off of it, and now after EBF for 5 months, it is completely pointy.

Good luck !

I have one "normal" nipple and one flatter one. My dd had a lot of trouble bfing at first on BOTH! We worked at it, and once my milk came in she was fine on the "normal" one but still had trouble on the flat one. I just fed her on the one "normal" side and pumped the other. I always would offer the flatter one too. About 2 weeks after her birth she took it (to my surprise)! It was like she just needed to first get the hang of bfing in general, then she could master the latch on the flat nipple. I never used a shield or other apparatus. Now she almost prefers the flat I think! So no matter what anyone tells you, trust your body and your baby. If babies couldn't nurse on women with flat nipples, that genetic trait would've died out a long time ago. Just keep trying.

I agree with the pp. My nipples are flat and at 4 months they still are. My LO is fine with it now. It is good that you know they are flat ahead of time so you can address the issue if there are problems. I did not know mine were flat until I contacted a LLL leader for help (nurses at hospital never said they were). Good luck and I know it will work out for you!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk