Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whole milk at home, breastfeed at home??

Default Whole milk at home, breastfeed at home??

So as I posted before, we are at the one year mark. I do have a question.

I am having a little trouble keeping up with supply for daycare some days and honestly, I am tired of stressing about that! Does anyone give their child whole milk or water at daycare and breatfeed at home? She is at daycare 4.5 hours a day then I pick her up and work from home.
    Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Default Re: Whole milk at home, breastfeed at home??

My DD usually drinks whole milk during the day in her sippy cup. She also drinks some water, but not much. Then she BFs when I get home from work, before bed, and 1-2 times in the early a.m.
    Don't drop more than one pumping session at a time and pump during the day if you get too full to avoid plugged ducts. Eventually you should be able to go confortably for a full day w/o pumping.
    Welcome!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Often even if I do pump, he won't take it. we haven't introduced whole milk. He drinks water and eats solids while away from me. It's generally at least 4hours. Even when it's longer....he often won't even take the BM. He's 13month old. He'll drink all night if I let him....but wants me. Today my mom layed down with him for a nap. She said he didn't even cry. He just allowed himself to be cuddled to sleep. If your past the year and you want to let go of the pump....check in w/ your LO if it seems ok with her. Start dropping sessions during the day. Don't try to go cold turkey as that may be uncomfortable for you....but especially if your child IS eating a healthy amount of solids, begin day weaning if that's where you and your LO feel comfortable beginning.

Way too lazy for formula

I know exactly how you feel. I was pumping 3x/day at workand only getting 2 bottles worth by the time DD was 13 mos. Stressful since she normally drank 3 bottles while at daycare all day. I had to go away on a business trip for 4 days. While I was gone, DD refused any milk at all-both ebm and whole milk. She did fine. I pumped just 2-3x/day while I was gone (I dropped the midday pump on day 3 when I got almost nothing the day before).

We still bf first thing in the am, as soon as we get home, after our early evening nap and before bed (more often on the weekends). Since she has moved to the toddler room at daycare now, she drinks whole milk cold in a sippy there. We started out giving her whole milk warmed in a bottle, then warm in a sippy, now cold. It's peer pressure. She saw that the other kids were drinking out of sippys and would refuse her bottle. Same thing with them warming her sippy. Some days she drinks 3-4oz, some just a few sips. Since we are still bfing I try not to worry about it too much.

It is so liberating not having to pump anymore.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I'm not sure it would be any different than giving formula at daycare and breastfeeding at home. This is more common than you might think. I've been doing it for a month without any effect in the supply I have at home. In fact, every day, at about noon, I still have a let down, even though I haven't nursed or pumped at that time since late December.

I've been doing exactly that for about 3 weeks now..Ds started public day care then and was put in the toddler rm where they don't give bottles(he wasn't too fond of them anyway). They asked if they could give him whole milk at lunch and at first I said no and would send EBM for him. He wouldn't drink it out of a sippy cup and they ended up just pouring it out. So instead of wasting BM and my time and energy pumping it just so it can get poured out, I gave in and said they could give him whole milk. Honestly he doesn't really drink that much of that either, but he eats plenty of solids, dairy, fruits and veggies. And we nurse on demand in the evenings and all through the night. (he's 12 mths, but still insists on nursing several times in his sleep. I'm sure it's more for comfort than anything else so we co-sleep.) Like I said, we've been doing it for 3 weeks now and all is well so far. Milk supply is holding up pretty well although I do still occasionally pump evenings and weekends if I get worried. And Ds seems like he is dealing with it well. If you feel ok with introducing whole milk, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it works for you and your LO. Hang in there!!

Great - thank you very much for your replies. I think I will start that process now. I will send one bottle still of ebm and maybe if she is still thirstly she can have the whole milk. We have introduced a sippy cup to her so she uses those pretty well.. It is all a learning process on both sides! Mommy and baby!