Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby not latching-on

Exclamation baby not latching-on

In the hospital I didn't have a huge problem with my baby latching on - she's now four days old. But now she screams anytime I put her to my breast. She does suckle on my finger but refuses to breast feed. I've tried so many different positions but it doesn't help. She also seems really gassy. I have large breasts naturally but I don't know if that is problem or not.
    My milk came in early this morning. I pumped today (after trying each time to get her to latch on without success) because I'm concerned about her not getting anything to eat. She has no problem taking a bottle.
    I really want to breastfeed and I know the second best thing is breastmilk in a bottle - but it almost seems like more of a hassle than just bottle feeding. I could really use some help because I'm so upset.

Default Re: baby not latching-on

I wish I knew. Did you use a new shampoo/soap today?

Well, since you had her in the hospital...did the hospital give her bottles? That sounds like the reaction when a baby has had a bottle/pacifier so early in life and is resisting the bottle.

Also, make sure you burp her really well...sometimes it takes several minutes to get a burp...so if she's getting fussy when she's fully reclined, it could just be a burp making her uncomfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Omyra's Mom View Post
    In the hospital I didn't have a huge problem with my baby latching on - she's now four days old. But now she screams anytime I put her to my breast. .
    I would strip your baby down and spend some time skin on skin. When I got here I was told that a nice warm bath with your lo would help to trigger the rooting responce in your baby. Its easy to slip a nipple in once they start doing that! Also try priming the breast a little, and if she's really reluctant consider a nipple shield. If she'll take a bottle, she'll prolly like the shield. Then wean her off it lickity split!

Mine did this at 2 weeks of age. I still don't know why. She will not take a paci but did get glucose water in the hospital due to low blood sugar, but no bottle since. For 24 hours she would not latch on. After the first 12 hour mark, I panicked and tried a bottle and she only took an ounce and spit up. We headed to the Doctor and he suspected a virus. She did this again at 4 weeks.

Check with your local LLLI or lactation consultant if you think you need help with the latch.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Hello, hello! I'm sending calm and happy thoughts your way. I remember really freaking out about day 5 when Mitch suddenly wouldn't nurse anymore. That's when I found this forum.

My problem at the time was that I was supporting his head with my whole hand surrounding the back of his head, and when I was bringing him into the breast, I was smashing his tender soft spots and he did NOT appreciate it.

Right where your little girl's neck meets her head should be supported by the webbing between your thumb and first finger, while your thumb and first two fingers end up behind her ears. This made a world of difference for us.

It seems to me that so much of mothering is trial and error, and it never hurts to go back to the basics and make sure you've got those down. Please don't hesitate to call a LLL leader or your hospital's Lactation Consulant. Breastfeeding is a learned skill! Hang in there - you'll get it!

My milk took 4-5 days to come in and my ds was pretty fussy and hard to latch on by that time too. It turns out we had an improper latch, ds wasn't taking enough of the areola in and wasn't getting enough milk so he would get frustrated at the breast and constantly break his latch when I finally got him on.

I think you should ditch the bottle and feed the baby your milk with a syringe to avoid further nipple confusion until you have a good solid latch established. I know some people say nipple confusion doesnt happen but I saw firsthand with my dd that babies can develop a preference for the faster flow of the bottle. Also, if your baby is crying during a feeding sometimes it can be hard to get them latched on so give her a little milk w/ the syringe before getting her latched on so she's calmed down some. If you're worried about her not getting enough then breastfeed first, and "top her off" after she's done with the supplements. That way she gets plenty of practice latching on but doesn't starve. that's what we did with ds and now he's 3 weeks old and nursing like there's no tommorow

Breastfeeding is more of a hassle at first, but believe me it gets easier. i was so tempted to give up when my ds was 5 days old. But persistence pays off if you really want bf'ing to work out (and it sounds like you do).

p.s. I would also suggest seeing a lactation consultant to make sure you have a good latch.

My daughter did the same thing. She was fine in the hospital and when we got home she would not latch on for 2 weeks. She got so mad and upset she wanted nothing to do with the breast. When your milk comes in the breast changes and they have to get used to the way your breast feels with milk in it so it takes some time. I continued to pump, bottle feed and kept trying to latch her on. At 2 weeks it all just clicked and she latched right on and has been feeding like a champ. It is a learning experience for both of you but I promise it gets better just continue to try and see a lactation consutlant believe me it is worth it. My LC showed me the football hold to where the baby is on thier said with their face facing the other breast. She told me to keep the ear, shoulder and hips all in a line pointing to the celing. When the ear is actively moving they are sucking and eating well. Just keep trying you are in the early stages as for nipple confusion my daughter never experienced it she took a bottle for the first two weeks and still has a paci so do what works best for you to get your baby fed it will all work out in the end I promise I am living proof.

Gentle Reminder: Nipple shields should only be used under the guidance of an IBCLC or LLL Leader

OP: Any updates? You've gotten some great suggestions. I would recommend you get someone local to help you in person. You can click the link in my signature to find LLL in your area!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Lightbulb Re: baby not latching-on

We had a latch-on problem for the first 3 days. My chiropractor came to the house for a visit and adjusted my daughter's "very twisted up" neck. She slept for 4 hours, woke up, and latched right away.