Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: e coli breast milk

Default e coli breast milk

I'm thinking the answer to this is "no" since Linda said once that bacteria does not pass into breast milk, but I wanted to be sure... If a mom ate e coli spinach, could a breastfed baby be effected by it? Also, doesn anyone know how long it takes for the effects to hit the person who ate it?

Default Re: e coli breast milk

We were talking about that in the LLL meeting I went to the other night and the leader answer was no. Just stay away from the spinach until further notice, I'm so upset about that, so bad I've been craving it everyday since it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    I'm so upset about that, so bad I've been craving it everyday since it happened.
    Ha Ha, we always want what we can't have.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samantha6672
    Ha Ha, we always want what we can't have.

thanks
    The two days before the news came out I made stuffed shells with spinach, spinach dip, and scramble eggs with spinach. It was so sad when I threw away my other bag, I've come up with tons of ways to eat it when it becomes safe again!

Sorry, went a bit out the question but I'm really upset about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha6672 View Post
    bacteria does not pass into breast milk
    OK, sorry to beat a dead horse but just wanted to confirm this and may be get some add't resources (books, web, etc) on this topic???

Have been wanting to add raw foods like unpasturized milk to my diet but want to be absolutely sure first!

TIA!
    Anna

The bacteria does not pass into the BM but if you or someone in your house get infected you will have to be extra careful with hand washing since it is easy for the baby to get infected through any bacteria that may be on your hands.

Sorry to change the subject, but I thought spinach WAS safe to eat again? I had fresh baby spinach at a sandwich shop the other day, and they didn't have it before because of the E Coli... I figured if they could have it again that it was cleared? Was this poor judgement???

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Sorry to change the subject, but I thought spinach WAS safe to eat again? I had fresh baby spinach at a sandwich shop the other day, and they didn't have it before because of the E Coli... I figured if they could have it again that it was cleared?
    They found the region of the likely contamination source (Central CA I if I remember correctly) so most places are selling it now, just getting it elsewhere.

Here's what the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK says about food poisoning:
    "When a mother eats a food that is contaminated with specific bacteria or toxins, she may develop 'food poisoning', which can cause vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Food poisoning may be caused by botulism, listeriosis, Salmonella, Shigella, Ciguatera, E. coli, or other bacteria."
    It goes on to say that in the majority of cases, food poisoning remits within a few days causing no further harm. It poses no danger to the breastfeeding baby. Though a breastfeeding mother with vomiting and diarrhea should be encouraged to drink enough liquids to maintain her fluid balance and avoid dehydration.
    Sometimes mothers may contract such a severe case of food poisoning that antibiotics are needed, most of which are compatible with breastfeeding.
    Here's a kellymom (non-LLL) link with additional info, too.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

If a mom ate e coli spinach, could a breastfed baby be effected by it?
    HTH,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Sorry to change the subject, but I thought spinach WAS safe to eat again? I had fresh baby spinach at a sandwich shop the other day, and they didn't have it before because of the E Coli... I figured if they could have it again that it was cleared? Was this poor judgement???
    Quote Originally Posted by borja010 View Post
    OK, sorry to beat a dead horse but just wanted to confirm this and may be get some add't resources (books, web, etc) on this topic???

Have been wanting to add raw foods like unpasteurized milk to my diet but want to be absolutely sure first!

TIA!
    Anna
    I think she's asking in regards to other possible sources of not-so-friendly bacteria.