Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: im worried

Default im worried

i have a2mo old girl, and she is wonderful, but i am afraid that i am not making enough milk it seems that lately when she eats shes not full, but is not getting any more milk from me, thus just getting frustrated idont know what to do because im drinking lots of water eating fruit veggies, well basically eating right and getting the most rest that i can. can someone help me please

Default Re: im worried

How is her output? How many wet/dirty diapers is she having a day? What is making you think your supply is low. How is she "acting" when you think she's not full? Try to relax, trust your body. As long as you nurse her whenever she wants she is steady stimulating your body to make more milk. HTH

she has about 5 or 6 wets a day, and i think tahts good, but my breasts empty so fast and she seems to want more, is it ok that im giving her formula or stored milk after, and am i hurting the breastfeeding process by doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by lydia View Post
    she has about 5 or 6 wets a day, and i think tahts good, but my breasts empty so fast and she seems to want more, is it ok that im giving her formula or stored milk after, and am i hurting the breastfeeding process by doing so?
    5-6 wets is exactly right! If she wants more keep switching her back and forth between your breasts. The supplimenting is going to draw out the process. Yes, its going to hurt your body getting the right messege from your bb. She's hungry; allow her to tell your breast to make more. She's got a great amount of wets- take it easy, everythings ok. Even if your breasts feel like flat, skin pancakes, believe us, they aren't all the way empty. Sometimes mine feel that way and i have this freakishly fat and large baby. The feeling has nothing to do with if they are actually producing or not.Trust you body!

STOP giving the supplement. Every time you satisfy her with other means that's one more time she's NOT telling your body to make more. Babies are smart. They tell your body how much milk they need by how much they eat. They get very effecient at eating too. If you want to produce enough milk for her, let her eat at the breast and that's it. It's supply and demand. You never stop making milk, it's always there, but your body is only going to make exactly what your DD is telling them to make for her. Your supply is going to dwindle if you keep playing with the supplement. Trust me. I only fed DS from the bottle 3 times in a row when my milk first came in because I was accused of starving my chid by my FIL. Because of that it took a little longer to get my supply back up. That was about 8 hours that I didn't BF and my milk had JUST come in. It's a wonder I didn't lose it all together. HTH

Thumbs up Re: im worried

thankyou both very much for answering my questions and helping calm down a bit. i will stop supplementing and calm down, i just get frustrated when she seems hungry and upset, but i will keep trying. im doing right by drinking about 64 oz of water a day right? and just eat healthy, is there anything that helps more than others??
    again thnk you from both yazmine and i

You could try taking Fenugreek tablets. I took two every 6 hours, and they doubled what i pumped. Also oatmeal is supposed to help. Your doing great, hang in there.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

When Mitch was about that age, I remember having the same problem with him acting like he was not full, all fussy and squirmy, but not wanting to latch back on and eat more. It was very frustrating. Guess what we figured out??? He need to BURP! A lot! For some reason he was suddenly taking in more air, and he also had a lot more toots. When I burped him after each breast and every time he acted done but not satisfied, he would settle down and eat some more until he really was finished and happy. Sure, nursing took a little longer that way, and WOW! did we go through a lot of spit-rags, but what a difference it made! Just a thought...

Agree with burping more often- this can also be a sign of a poor latch. have you contacted your local LLL leader for some hands on help? I would also suggest you look into trying some different positions.

Hi there

Fenugreek and medications to up the milk supply should be used only as a last resort. There are better ways to boost a milk supply, and I'm guessing that the milk supply isn't actually the issue here anyway, since you've managed to feed her well for 2 months.

This is prime growth-spurt season. Many mothers find that their babies want to nurse a lot more often during a growth spurt. As a PP said, using a supplement can be damaging to your supply because it causes your body to make less milk and your body doesn't know to keep up with baby's changing needs.

The very best way to build a milk supply is to remove milk from the breast on a regular basis. So just let baby nurse, nurse, nurse. It's normal for your breasts to feel softer between feedings, and you'll probably find that she spreads her feedings back out again in a few days.

Eating right and getting plenty of rest are excellent steps. Just drink to thirst--there's no need to force yourself to drink lots of water that you aren't actually thirsty for.

To make sure she is getting enough to eat, look at this article:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I also agree with the poster who said to try and burp her frequently. Sometimes just that little bit of space the air takes up can make a difference. You may also want to try breast compressions to help get a little extra into her.

I saw that she is having 5 to 6 wet diapers per day, which is excellent. How many dirty diapers is she having? She should be having at least 2-3 per day, the size of a US quarter or larger, and they should be yellow/mustard colored.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!