Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few MORE questions...

Default A few MORE questions...

Thanks for the replies to my posting. A few more questions from me.

1) Is there anywhere where photos of burping positions are posted? The ones on holding baby while breasfeeding was most useful.

2) I read that I should only wash my breasts with water while I shower. Surely as I soap myself elsewhere, the soap is bound to get on the breasts.

Furthermore, ( I know this is a dumb question) will the soap get INTO the breasts? I tried to be really careful when showering and would squeeze out some milk from each breast just to make sure that if any soap gets in, it is flushed out by the milk. Am I too paranoid?

3) I only use hot / boiling water to sterilise my bottles. How do you sterilise used bottles with hot water after each feed? I just wash off the milk residue with pipe water and let the hot water run over them. Is that enough? We boil the bottles each morning for 5 minutes.

4) When do I use baby shampoo the bath the baby? She is 5 weeks old. At the moment, we only use lukewarm water.

5) Will the baby get less goodness from breastmilk that is bottlefed compared to breastmilk direct from nursing?

6) When can we take the baby out of the house. So far we have only taken her to the hospital for her checkups. We'd like to bring her to church with us.

That's the lot for today. I am sure there will be lots more questions from me. I am so glad I got on this site. It has been most helpful to me and my husband since we are first time parents with no experience.

Once again, I thank you all in advance.

-Jenny

Default Re: A few MORE questions...

Hi! Congratulations on your new baby! As a first time mom myself I know how overwhelming it can be. I found this site to be a lifesaver those early months. I don't have answers to all your questions but I'll try my best.

1) Is there anywhere where photos of burping positions are posted? The ones on holding baby while breasfeeding was most useful.

Here is a site with illustrations of three burping positions...http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/pdfs/Pa...nfant/burp.pdf and here is a site with some good information on how to burp your baby. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030300.asp

2) I read that I should only wash my breasts with water while I shower. Surely as I soap myself elsewhere, the soap is bound to get on the breasts.

Furthermore, ( I know this is a dumb question) will the soap get INTO the breasts? I tried to be really careful when showering and would squeeze out some milk from each breast just to make sure that if any soap gets in, it is flushed out by the milk. Am I too paranoid?

No, your not being too paranoid! I think I remember thinking the same thing . Soap will get on your breasts but don't worry about this. Just rinse well. I don't think any soap will get in.

3) I only use hot / boiling water to sterilise my bottles. How do you sterilise used bottles with hot water after each feed? I just wash off the milk residue with pipe water and let the hot water run over them. Is that enough? We boil the bottles each morning for 5 minutes.

I have only used bottles a couple of times and each time I washed with soap and water and sterilized with boiling water. Maybe someone else can answer this one better.

4) When do I use baby shampoo the bath the baby? She is 5 weeks old. At the moment, we only use lukewarm water.

We didn't use any shampoo or soap for awhile. They don't really get dirty anyway. My DS had A LOT of hair so we did use a tiny bit of shampoo when it would get a little greasy. My DS is 9 months now and we still don't use a lot of soap/shampoo...only when he's really sweaty or messy from eating.

5) Will the baby get less goodness from breastmilk that is bottlefed compared to breastmilk direct from nursing?

No. Your baby will still get all the goodness and nutrients from your breastmilk if you use a bottle.

6) When can we take the baby out of the house. So far we have only taken her to the hospital for her checkups. We'd like to bring her to church with us.

I think it's fine to take your baby out. We took our DS to church for the first time when he was around 5 weeks. We used to take him with us to do errands and grab quick bites to eat those early weeks. Being winter and flu season and all, I would just be careful where you sit in church and just don't have a lot of people touching your little one without washing their hands first.

Hope this helps. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions...even if you think they are stupid. I wish I had asked more questions early on. Good luck!
    Last edited by ftm06; February 1st, 2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add site

Quote Originally Posted by jentyh
    Will the baby get less goodness from breastmilk that is bottlefed compared to breastmilk direct from nursing?
    Here's a link that describes one of the benefits of direct nursing. What it states at the bottom of the page can be summed up as:

While ANY breast milk is GOOD breast milk, and pumping is an awesome commitment to your LO, there are some advantages to nursing "directly from the tap." When you are introduced to a pathogen via your baby's mouth, your breastmilk will then contain antibodies for that particular illness. Pretty cool, huh!?

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to find more links regarding this particular benefit, but another mom may be able to help out on that.

Regardless, breast milk in a bottle or breast milk from your breast is a great way to make sure your LO is getting the absolute best start!

Re #2 -- I was also told not to wash my breasts with soap, but I had been told it was because soap is so drying to the skin and you want to treat that area with extra TLC while bfing.

I use soap and its never bothered anything.