Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grief and BF

Default Grief and BF

I recently lost my grandmother and it is very difficult for me. I have been ok emotionally right now, but the services are Saturday... will this affect my BF?

Default Re: Grief and BF

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I guess I don't really understand the question. Do you mean will your grief affect your breastfeeding? Or will you attending the services affect your breastfeeding? The answer to the first is that grief will not, and unless you decide to leave the little one at home...it won't, but you may get engorged.

My condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

Some mothers may hear that their emotional state affects the quality or composition of their breastmilk, but this is not true. Being upset or sad will not affect your milk, and as long as you keep your baby close and breastfeed as you are already doing successfully, your breastfeeding relationship will not suffer as you weather the storm of grief and loss.

Many mothers find that the hormonal release of milk letdown helps to calm and soothe them during emotionally stressful times. I hope that this will be helpful to you this weekend.

Don't hesitate to post with any other questions or concerns.

I'm so sorry for your loss ... Here's a site that has some relavant info:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec01p204.html

"Around the world, breastfeeding mothers face stressful situations within their families, during natural disasters, and during wartime. And, as with Roberts, that stress can affect breastfeeding. "The mother in a stressful situation may say that she has 'lost her milk,'" according to THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK. "It is not unusual for breastfeeding mothers to notice a temporary drop in their milk supply or a delayed or inhibited let-down, or milk-ejection, reflex when they are under great stress" (Mohrbacher and Stock 1997). The drop is temporary, however, and with time and conscious efforts to relax, a more normal milk ejection reflex will occur."

no info, just s your way.

I've lost two of my grandparents since DS was born, and I just wanted to mention that you might notice a change in BFing pattern depending on how your lo responds to stress and being around a lot of people. The first funeral was when he was 3.5 weeks old, and that night he nursed and nursed and nursed, then puked all over me (his little tummy got too full.) The second one was at 10 months, and he didn't much nurse all day (making for a very uncomfortable mommy!).

Sorry for your loss...hope everything goes well tomorrow.