Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly sleeping

Default Belly sleeping

When is it OK to allow your LO to sleep on their belly?
    My LO takes his naps on his belly and sleeps so much better than on his back or side. He is not abruptly woken up with those moving arms...

Help..

Default Re: Belly sleeping

Hi - I think whatever you are comfortable with is okay. My DS slept on his side or belly from really early on. We were co-sleeping so I was always there and it didn't bother me. He was also able to lift his head and move it from side to side early on too. I know that "back to sleep" is said to be best but we did what we thought was best for our DS and that was letting him sleep how he slept best...and when he could move around he would (and still does) sleep on his belly.

My son was constantly spitting up mucous during his first few days...and so we put him on his belly right from the get go...

He's fine and he still prefers to sleep on his belly. Our daughter was the same way and I swear the only reason she rolled over early was to go from back to belly. LOL

I waited until my LO could turn his head from side to side as well as roll by himself.He sleeps like a dream on his belly now, so long as I'm right beside him.

From day one my son would not sleep unless he was on his stomach. I slept with him for the first 3 months so I didn't worry too much, and he was able to turn his head from side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by babyJosephValentino View Post
    When is it OK to allow your LO to sleep on their belly?
    My LO takes his naps on his belly and sleeps so much better than on his back or side. He is not abruptly woken up with those moving arms...

Help..
    So this is what I've heard. They do sleep better on their bellies, its undisputable, but therein lies the problem. They sleep So WELL that they can over heat, and not wake themselves to cry and tell you, "I'm hot mommy!". This can result in death; SIDS. So while supervised belly sleeping is ok, leaving a baby on their belly can be trouble waiting....

i believe the risk of SIDS is lowered when your baby can actually roll over on his/her own. dd is now 8.5 months and she falls alseep on her side as i'm nursing her in the side-lying position, but i put her in her crib belly down because she prefers to sleep that way. before she could roll over on her own, we used those wedges to keep her from rolling from her back to her tummy.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom View Post
    i believe the risk of SIDS is lowered when your baby can actually roll over on his/her own.
    This sounds correct, but it doesn't eliminate the risk entirely. This link says between 2-4 monthes is the most critical: http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publication..._sleep_gen.cfm
    this link has more details: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102100.asp
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 2nd, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

11girl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    This sounds correct, but it doesn't eliminate the risk entirely. This link says between 2-4 monthes is the most critical: http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publication..._sleep_gen.cfm
    this link has more details: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102100.asp
    I looked at these links and noticed that the Dr. Sears site states "There is no correlation between immunizations and SIDS".. however from all the reading I have done lately it seems that there is a lot of evidence that there IS a correlation...

According to Harris Coulter PhD, “Crib death” was so infrequent in the pre-vaccination era that it was not even mentioned in statistics. It started to climb in the 1950s with the spread of mass vaccinations. So much so it even acquired a new name-“SIDS,” Sudden Infant Death Syndrome of unknown origin. The medical establishment assures us that SIDS is unrelated to vaccines which begs the question; How do you know its not vaccines if it is of unknown origin? The three primary doses of DPT are given at two, four and six months of age. Eighty-five per cent of SIDS deaths occur from one to six months of age, with the peak incidence from two to four months. Another coincidence?

In a recent study of SIDS, breathing was monitored before and after vaccination. The data clearly showed that vaccination caused an extraordinary increase in episodes where breathing either nearly ceased or stopped completely. This is why it is so important to have our babies sleep on their backs, if you plan on vaccinating. It is easier for them to breath. Another problem associated with breathing is Asthma. Vaccinated children are shown to be five times more likely to become afflicted with this serious respiratory ailment. Dr. William Torch of the University of Nevada School of Medicine did a study of 103 children who died of SIDS. He found that more than two-thirds had been vaccinated with DPT prior to death. Of these, 6.5% died within 12 hours; 13 % died within 24 hours; 26% died within 3 days; and 37, 61 and 70 % within 1,2,3 weeks respectively. Anything that happens to a baby after four weeks is considered God-given. The average time it takes for a vaccine to dissipate in the body is 10-12 days. Click here for Dr Buttram's explanation. Even if a baby dies immediately after a vaccination the cause of death will be labeled SIDS. Here is one example in the vaccine adverse reporting system.

The package insert on the DTP vaccine states the following adverse events have occurred:

Persistent, inconsolable crying ……1/100 doses.
    Transient shock-like episodes……. 1/1750 doses
    Convulsions……………………………….. 1/1750 doses.
    “The occurrence of SIDS has been reported following administration of DPT. The significance of these reports is unclear.”

(from http://www.vaccinetruth.org/page_9.htm)

My Lo started sleeping on her stomach as soon as she could roll over there herself. and now she sleeps just like her mamma on her stomach and face turned..It is cute..I think as long as they can move there head side to side it safe as long as you keep an eye on them.. It does make my DH incrediable nervous, but he is getting used to it now that she can roll over both ways.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones