Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am so exhausted!!

Unhappy I am so exhausted!!

I have a 5 year old who is wonderfully "easy" to care for. Meaning he sleeps in his own room, sleeps peacefully through the night, etc. etc. Then I have my 19 month old nurser. He was born with a heart abnormality that was repaired so even though he's "good as new", I have definitely been overprotective and super nurturing with him. I am almost 12 weeks pregnant with our third baby and I'm feeling the 1st trimester tiredness, sore boobs, and just generally overwhelmed. Especially at night! My DS co-sleeps with my DH and I and will nurse continuously throughout the night. Not sleeping well at night leads me to feel so tired during the day. And sometimes depressed because of all that is not getting done. Is this normal toddler nursing behavior? Am I over-coddling him? I can't bear to have him CIO. But how much longer can I be so sleep deprived. Then I think about my hospital stay and how difficult it will be for him without me. Then I think about tandem nursing...I feel tired now! How will I feel then? Can anyone help me?? Please??

Default Re: I am so exhausted!!

I have no solution, and hope that someone posts that does. I can definately sympathize with you. I am also 12 wks. pregnant w/#3. And my 22 mo. old co-sleeps (most of the night). He IS in a toddler bed in the same room w/my other ds and dss, so at least when he gets up and wants to come in bed with us I don't have to get out of bed. For quite a while he'd stay in his own bed till 2:30...sometimes later!!!! Now he's there for an hour, mayyyybe 2, then that's it. He flip flops all over the bed, I don't know how I can put another baby in bed with us. I actually kicked my husband out of bed last night (actually, asked nicely if he'd sleep in the spare room) because I could not get any sleep. Oliver was giving me like 5 inches of bed.
    I'm hoping that there is some sort of natural progression, and by the time the baby is born, Oliver will be weaned (at least from night nursings), and will be sleeping through the night in his own bed. I know, I'm dreaming! I just hate the thought of having to refuse him...he will NOT be happy if I try to night wean him.
    Sorry not to be of help, but just know that you're not alone. In fact, it's 10pm and I'm pretty crazy for being online and not asleep while I can. Last night I had maybe 3 or 4 hours...I should be comotose by now!!

Good luck!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

I'm just coming out of that nasty first trimester and as of about 6 weeks ago, my 14 month old is sleeping through the night. I had the same thing happening....fatigue and morning sickness, night wakings/nursings. I had to figure something out.

We do not co-sleep, but you can still do this. Get the book, "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Ferber. My daughter never once had to cry it out. There was crying with me holding her for a couple hours on two separate nights and that's it. That was all it took. 6 weeks later and I'm telling you she sleeps all night long.

A lot of people recommend the No Cry Sleep....I didn't find it useful at all. Ferber explains sleep, sleep associations, cycles...everything I needed to get where I am and I never let her cry it out.

A bedtime routine is of utmost importance! We stick to it like a religion. Also her meals are served at the same exact time every day to help set her clock.

I'm finally getting more energy in week 14 and the morning sickness is gone, the sore boobs are gone...I know things will start to look up for you!

I'm even able to put her down awake in her bed and she talks to her babies for a minute or two, then knocks out. Don't look up Ferberizing on the internet, you'll find bad information! I learned this the hard way, the first time I tried it.

I hope this helps and if you want more details, feel free to PM me.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Red face Re: I am so exhausted!!

Wow! Thanks so much to both of you!! I was convinced that I was alone on this one...especially since I'm one of the only mom's I know that co-sleeps and is still nursing her toddler. I really appreciate the first response for relating to me/really understanding what I'm going through exactly. In fact when you mentioned that you should have been sleeping when you were online...I ALWAYS do that and pay for it later. I guess sometimes I just need some true down time without a child running me off of my own bed or stuck to my boob!! p.s. we're due days apart (I'm due 8/21/07. And my second was born 7/7/05.) Neat huh?
    I appreciated the second response for giving me some practical solutions. It's good to have hope that I can achieve a sense of normalcy, especially before the baby comes.
    I was just feeling like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by R&JJJ View Post
    p.s. we're due days apart (I'm due 8/21/07. And my second was born 7/7/05.)
    Wow!! neat!
    I have to admit, Oliver slept pretty well last night. He came into our bed at about 11:30 and nursed. But I think he slept the rest of the night without nursing, and without much tossing and turning.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

You know what's funny about that? Justin slept pretty good too It's almost as if me "relaxing" a bit about his sleep patterns helped him relax.

Jessica,
    Oddly enough, I have relaxed a bit about it too. I just said to dh last night that I wasn't going to stress out about getting Oliver out of our bed by the time the baby is born. I'm realizing that he's really not nursing much at night, sometimes just once, maybe twice, and only for a few minutes. He just wants to be in bed with us more than anything.
    I figure that if he's still in our bed when the baby comes, I'll buy a co-sleeper for the baby. It will be a tight squeeze in our room, but well worth it for the piece of mind it will give me. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure I will get more rest myself.
    Jill

Jessica,
    I just realized you're not on our "roll call" list where all the pregnant moms who are nursing are keeping tabs on each other. I'll add you. It's under Pregnant and Breastfeeding.
    Jill