Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10mos food suggestions?

Default 10mos food suggestions?

i'm looking for suggestions to add some variety in my ds's diet. he is 10 months. so far he eats bananas, avocado, wheat toast, baby pancakes, apple, pear, broccoli, carrots yogurt and organic abc cookies. but i feel like this is really repetitive and only do solids once or twice a day is that enough?
    tia!

Default Re: 10mos food suggestions?

i'm looking for suggestions to add some variety in my ds's diet. he is 10 months. so far he eats bananas, avocado, wheat toast, baby pancakes, apple, pear, broccoli, carrots yogurt and organic abc cookies. but i feel like this is really repetitive and only do solids once or twice a day is that enough?
    tia!
    First...as far as the amount of meals you feed per day at 10 mos. old (the same age as my youngest DS, BTW) You can feed more meals per day than this. My DS has been eating 3 meals a day for 2-3 mos. However, since he learned to regulate his intake of breastmilk, he also regulates his intake of solid foods really well, and some of those meals can be pretty small depending on how hungry he is at the time. At 10 mos., there isn't any reason you can't offer him 3 meals a day, but I wouldn't be too distraught if he doesn't want to eat much at some of those meals.

Second, At 10 mos., you can actually offer almost everything. You can be offering potatoes (mashed are really easy), Green beans, peas, meats that seperate easily, like chicken or ground beef (although that MUST be cooked VERY well done), soft cooked pasta (except maybe not chokable shapes...wagonwheels and others might be too chokable if baby doesn't chew well yet, etc.), peaches, blueberries, eggs(some people advise to skip the yolks, but we serve the whole thing as we have no family history of egg allergies...DS isn't allergic to them BTW.) Regular oatmeal, with any combination of fruits cooked in. Rice is another good choice...which can be made into a baby meal with little seperated pieces of chicken and peas and mini diced carrots. You can usually offer most table foods if you're cooking them yourself and are avoiding too much sodium or any highly allergenic foods on the list of no nos for awhile yet. Homemade beef or chicken stew or pot pies would also be good choices. We try to avoid canned or frozen versions of those because of the really high sodium contents as well as MSG and all the preservatives, but honestly, in moderation, it probably won't hurt baby once in a great while.

I think you need to wait until 12 mos. for strawberries, anything with honey in it, cow's milk and chocolate, until 2 years for peanut butter, peanuts, and all other nuts, and I believe you also need to wait on fish and shellfish. I think there are a couple more that are MUST WAITS, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. I also think tomatoes might be in the after 12 mos. list, although we have recently started giving our DS foods with tomatoe in them and he has had NO reactions...but again, there isn't really any family history of that allergy with us, so we didn't really expect it.

Plums are another good fruit, grapes if you feel like cutting them in quarters, Pinto and lima beans,Snap peas Spinach, squash Broccoli. Unsweeteend Applsauce . Rice cakes. String cheese. We did chicken and turkey at this age. We held off on ham and beef until right before and right after the year point. Salt is not good for babies under one.(So no olives or pickeles) (There's a lot of it in ham) NO HONEY is HUGE.

Way too lazy for formula

There's a good thread here where we've been comparing what we've given our LO's. You might find some good ideas there

My LO will be 10 months in a couple of days and she doesn't eat near what the baby books say should eat. I offer 3 meals a day but it may consist of a few small spoonfuls of fruit or veggie, a little meat or toast. She spits a lot of it out and I don't force her cause I don't want to cause any aversions. She just doesn't seem to enjoy food. Do you ladies experience the same with your 10 month olds???? I'm a little worried about the iron intake.

you know, even when i offer solids to my lo he only eats tiny bits. often he'll put too much in his mouth and end up gagging and spitting a bunch out. is that normal for this age still? anyway, he only takes in a little bit of solids a day. and i was hesitant to push too many solids because my ds is on the small side for his age and i always heard breastmilk has more calories than any solids. do you think if i add more solids he'll take in less bm and not gain as well?

whats on the small side?? if you are worried you could offer avacado more....i mean along with other stuff too, like always have it there as a choice...also, as long as you bf about an hour before (first so he gets enough solids and second so the bm as well as vitamins in food can be absorbed properly) he will be getting his fill of bm but then regulating what he wants for solids...
    i offer 3 meals a day....sometimes only his feet hit the highchair and he freaks out...so....no big deal he gets no food.....some days he eats 3 times plus a snack some days he eats nothing at all....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Our soon-to-be 10 mo is offered food 3 times a day and she eats some, sometimes I don't worry too much about how much she eats because it's still just complimentary to the bm she's getting and she's just learning about all this crazy food stuff. When I read a stat on the WHO site about how much a baby should be eating in addition to bm, I was concerned because it seemed like sooo much, but thanks to Shelly and other experienced mamas, my gut instinct was supported and I just let those stats go.

This week, I've been offering DD watermelon at breakfast and dinner and black eyed peas at lunch (along with the occasional cheerio and avocado bits for fun) and most days she'll shovel it into her mouth faster than she can eat it, but some days she smashes it up and paints her hair with it. On the days she's shoveling it in, she gags a few times, but it's nothing to worry about. Totally normal.

I also tend to put a little on her tray at a time, replenishing only after she's eaten what's there. I keep this up until she's no longer eating, just playing. Like pp mentioned, a bf'ed baby is a good self-regulator and will stop eating when he's had enough. Just be sure to continue offering the breast before solids.

I second what mom of 2 said.

And Evin... beautiful pic! Just precious.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
    And Evin... beautiful pic! Just precious.
    Thanks!