Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teething signs?Whats normal?

Default Teething signs?Whats normal?

Since I am a first time mom I am not sure if my DS-4months is teething or sick? He is very cranky for periods throughout the day then frantically crys for about half hour to 45 minutes. I have tried everything to soothe him but nothing works. Tried nursing him (has worked in the past for everything), washcloth in freezer, teething toys, finger in his mouth but he just cries. Then all of a sudden he'll look out the window and just stop. Then start up shortly after. He has been drooling and putting hands and blankets up and sometimes into his mouth. The other day I thought he was sick because his drool kinda sprayed out- I called Dr and they said it was vomiting. It was waterey looking and happened once or twice a day for 2-3 days. He has no temperature.

Do the crying episodes sound teething related?
    How did your baby act while teething?
    How long does it last?
    thanks

Default Re: Teething signs?Whats normal?

My son got his first tooth at 4 months. He bacame a lot more fussy, woke up more at night and drooled like a rabid dog. He also liked to chew on my shoulder. Good luck to you.

Tylenol. Haven't been ther yet, but thats MY plan.

well, babies drool, a lot - not always teething related.
    Maybe he is just bored - they get bored more around the age you LO is at.
    The teething lasts until they get all their teeth... so a few years. but the crankiness and reactions fluctuate.

Good luck - going outside always did (and still does) the trick for my DS!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I can tell when he's bored. When he cries -the 45 min one and I can't console he seems in pain. We live in Florida and I take him out alot. I guess I was wondering if babies cry this long and frantic when teething?

Quote Originally Posted by ES1967 View Post
    I guess I was wondering if babies cry this long and frantic when teething?
    thats what i've heard on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    i havent. but maybe i missed something.
    nak
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Ok, not exactly. What I've heard is that it makes babies fussy, turn away from nursing, cranky, bitey, and irritable. That IS a long time to cry .
    Is your baby producing more mucious (sp) lately? Maybe its reflux and not attached to the drooling??

He seems better today-less cranky and less drooling. I called the Dr's office yesterday and she said some babies cry all night when teething? I wonder if anyone has had this experience?

Ok, not exactly. What I've heard is that it makes babies fussy, turn away from nursing, cranky, bitey, and irritable. That IS a long time to cry .
    Is your baby producing more mucious (sp) lately? Maybe its reflux and not attached to the drooling??

that's what I meant that I can't imagine a baby crying unconsolably for 45 minutes being due to teehting but I am no expert

To the OP - IME my kids have been fussy when I presume they are teething but they have not cried for extended periods of time, as you mentioned. Currently my son who is 8 mo. is on month 4 of constrant drool.

Do you have a sling? have you tried wearing him around?

One thing that does make me wonder is you mentioned "his drool kinda sprayed out"- and the doc said that was vomit

Either way - teething or sick - do all you can to make him comfortable and I would venture to say you'll know if he is really sick -
    Last edited by Number3; February 2nd, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson