Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply issue

Default Milk supply issue

This is my first post and sorry if I didn't post in the correct place . My baby just turned 2 weeks old yesterday and I still don't have adequete milk supply. I have met with lactation consultants from my hospital and tried everything they have recommended and am wondering if I am just incapable of exclusively breastfeeding. Baby latches on fine but is a little lazy eating and has to be woken up quite frequently. I feed him every 2-3 hours or more if he wants it and also try to pump an hour after each feeding. I never get much from pumping and baby is still hungry after nursing for 30-45 mins (total both sides). I was using an SNS at each feeding but have given up on it, very hard to use. I also started taking fenugreek last week with no noticable difference. I have never had a feeling of fullness in my breasts and never became engorged. Baby became jaundiced and was not producing wet/messy diapers after getting home from hospital so was forced to supplement with formula. I had very similar problems with my first son. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Milk supply issue

I would ask you docter about presription meds they have for lactation. Someone else will chime in with the name; I don't recall it.
    Can you tell us how many wet diapers you get in a 24 hour period?

Since I have been supplementing now he has about 8 or so a day at least.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I would ask you docter about presription meds they have for lactation. Someone else will chime in with the name; I don't recall it.Can you tell us how many wet diapers you get in a 24 hour period?
    Isn't it Reglan?

You are worried that you're not getting enough to your little one?

Can I ask what makes you think your supply is inadequate?
    How are the diapers and output now?
    How is his weight gain?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by rosehip327 View Post
    Since I have been supplementing now he has about 8 or so a day at least.
    Ditto Number3, how about without supplimenting? 5-6 wet diapers (dispoable) is normal, 8 makes me wonder if you need to suppliment. Some babies really have a need to suck, so it doesn't nessesarily mean your baby isn't getting enough to eat if its rooting afterwards.

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yes the prescription is Reglan.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new baby! I'd like to ask a few questions to help clarify what might be going on. How much formula supplement is the baby currently getting? When did supplementation begin and what was happening before the supplement (i.e. how many wet/dirty diapers if you can remember, how much weight loss/gain)? What did the LC's recommend? How much fenugreek are you taking? Have you tried breast compressions?

Sometimes a newborn is very sleepy (this can be caused by jaundice) and therefore doesn't nurse as much as is needed. The decreased nursing lead to lower supply, and it then becomes a cycle. Your baby is still very young, and its still possible to get things on track! Let us know some more info, and maybe we can help you find a solution.

Thanks for all your replies!

Baby is getting 1-2 oz of formula or breastmilk usually every other feeding. He has had a 3 oz bottle a couple times in the past 2 days. He started getting supplements when 3 days old after coming home from hospital, at that time he hadn't had any wet/dirty diapers in over 12 hours. He went from 9lbs 11oz down to 8 lbs 13 oz. He did get a slight case of jaundice at this point ( a 17 I think) but that went away after starting supplement feedings. He is now back up to 9lbs 6oz.

The LC recommended feeding every 2-3 hours and pumping for 10 minutes after each feeding. Also, to use the medela SNS, with 1-2 oz of formula/breastmilk each feeding. This was modified a few days later to pumping 1 hour after each feeding and only using SNS after nursing on one side. I then only used SNS every other feeding. They also recommended power pumping 1x per day. (pumping in 10 minute increments alternated with 10 minute breaks for 1 hour) I only produce about 2 oz of breast milk after a full day of pumping.

I am taking fenugreek 2 tablets 3x per day. I do breast compressions with each feeding as well. It helps if he is falling asleep or not doing "good" sucking.

Thanks for all your help, hope that answered all your questions!

Well, you could talk to the LC and see if more fenugreek would be better. I believe the recommended dosage listed in the Breastfeeding Answer Book is 2-4 capsules 3x per day (which is more than what is on the bottle). When I used it I started with just 2 capsules but didn't see a difference and so went up to 3. It did help quite a bit then. Also, some mothers have success taking fenugreek and blessed thistle together. Another option is to talk with your doctor about prescription medication to increase milk supply.

Has the LC watched the baby nurse and evaluated his latch and suck? Did she weigh him before and after a feed to see how much milk he is taking at the breast?

You mentioned that the baby is still pretty sleepy. Having lots of skin to skin contact can help encourage baby to nurse more frequently. Strip baby down to diaper and hold him against your bare chest with head upright between your breasts. You can use a sheet to tie around and secure baby so that you can relax and rest (this is called kangaroo care). Some moms find a "nurse in" helpful. To do this you take baby to bed for a full 24 hours and do nothing but nurse and rest. Leave your shirt off and encourage baby to nurse as much as he is willing. You would need to have someone in the house to attend to other household tasks that need to be done, including bringing you food. You just concentrate on nursing and resting. Sometimes that can help "jumpstart" things so to speak.

Hang in there. I know that nursing and pumping and supplementing is all a lot of hard work. You are doing a great job! Let us know how its going!