Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding with eczema

Default Breastfeeding with eczema

Hi, everyone! This is my first post, and I'm so happy to be here!

One of the biggest reasons I've decided to breastfeed my baby (due Feb. 24) is because for most of my life, I've suffered with pretty severe eczema, and I want to do all I can to try to prevent my little boy from going through the same thing. I do have a question, though. My skin (even the skin on my nipples) is extremely dry, and I always have an outbreak of eczema somewhere on my body. I occasionally get eczema on my nipples, which causes them to itch and crack and peel. They don't always hurt, but the rash doesn't look so great, as I'm sure you can imagine. Can I still breastfeed if I have nipple eczema? Will it hurt the baby?

Thank you for your help.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Breastfeeding with eczema

Have you tried Lansinoh on your nipples? That's a huge relief for the kind of symptoms you mention, and it's specifically for breastfeeding.

Sorry I have no information specifically about eczema. I wish I could help you there, but I just wanted to post so you know you're not unheard here. The thing about this board is that most of us post about "been there, done that" knowledge, and your concern is a rather specific one I bet few people go through. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon! Maybe a LLL leader will have better info for you.

Welcome to the Forums, and Congratulations on your upcoming Arrival!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Breastfeeding with eczema

. If you have a skin condition such as psoriasis or eczema, you may wish to ask your dermatologist what you can use. Be sure to tell the doctor you will be breastfeeding, as that can make a difference in the type of treatment prescribed. Also, do not use soap on your breasts, as this can dry them out. When you bathe or shower, rinsing with clear water is fine. If your nipples are very dry, you may wish to apply a lubricant.
    from LLL FAQs: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/breastprep.html