Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Meats

Default Re: Introducing Meats

While fish is supposed to be very very good for you (Omega 3's and all) I've heard that babies and young children are supposed to have a very limited amount of fish do to mercury contamination in fish...and pollution...even here in the land of 10,000 lakes there are recommendations about how much freshwater fish should be eaten...its right in the DNR booklet you get with your fishing license, and it has recommendations for pregnant and nursing moms and small children all the way up to adults by the number of times per week eating fish is safe for each individual.

This is a pretty intense article that talks about fish consumption and the pregnant woman. It does breastfeeding, and infants, and is by mercola.
    http://www.mercola.com/2001/apr/25/mercury_fish.htm

Here's another one that talks about the FDA's new recommendations also not being strict enough like the Mercola article. http://www.ewg.org/reports/FocusPocu...endations.html

There's also this article that talks about fish recommendations http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Maste...rt%20Brief.pdf

Finally, www.askdrsears also has alot of info regarding fish...but his info seems to all be about the benefits of fish and omega 3's...and doesn't mention the amount of servings that are actually safe to eat per week due to mercury and pollution contamination. In fact, his serving size is 6 oz., where some of the above resources recommed a 4 oz. serving instead.

We actually are waiting on the fish...we could probably try it occasionally, but we're considering the Omega 3 vitamins Dr. Sears recommends instead.

Question Re: Introducing Chicken

Hello, my ds is almost 8 months old and we have slowly introduced solids. We just tried Chicken & Gravy jarred baby food and he has broken out in a facial rash the last 2 days we fed it to him. The only other time he gets this crazy cheek/chin rash is when he or I has dairy. (He has a milk protein allergy.)

Any ideas why this may be happening? Should I continue with Turkey? Pork?

Please help....you are all I've got!
    xoxo, Season

Default Re: Introducing Meats

Hello, my ds is almost 8 months old and we have slowly introduced solids. We just tried Chicken & Gravy jarred baby food and he has broken out in a facial rash the last 2 days we fed it to him. The only other time he gets this crazy cheek/chin rash is when he or I has dairy. (He has a milk protein allergy.)

Any ideas why this may be happening? Should I continue with Turkey? Pork?

Please help....you are all I've got!
    Hey JacksMommy:

You've probbly already done this, but check the jar of chicken & gravy baby food for a list of the ingredients. I know that many many people who make gravy do it with butter or milk, as well as either flour or cornstarch and seasonings and water. Also, check the label for whey (from milk). I'm guessing, that since its chicken & gravy, that they need to make the gravy out of something other than chicken and water. If the label isn't clear, I'd check with the company's website and place an e-mail to their company directly asking for a more clear list of ingredients due to your allergy problem with baby.

After that, I'd check out any ingredients online that you aren't sure what they are. There are so many scientific names for common items that might be culprits.

The reason I think this may be a good idea, is that chicken isn't exactly a very allergenic food, and I'd be inclined to think that you could probably try home cooked chicken breast (little pieces with the grains seperated a bit so baby won't choke) just the chicken by the way...instead of the meal in the jar to rule out an allergy to chicken. I'd guess its more likely to have an allergy or intolerance to cow's milk or a preservative in the gravy in the baby food meal, but trying plain home cooked chicken by itself would be a way to figure that out for sure.

That being said, there are kids with poultry allergies. I think one of the LLL leaders has children with a poultry allergy. My youngest DS couldn't tolerate it when I ate turkey deli meat. So for months, I was ever so careful to never eat turkey. When he was 8 mos. old, I finally allowed myself some home cooked turkey. I believe the culprit was actually some sort of an additive or preservative from the deli meat, as he was fine after I tried home cooked turkey...either that, or he had just grown out of his intolerance.

As far as not offering the other meats, I guess I'd try to focus on figuring out if it was something in the gravy that bothered your LO (like milk by-products) or whether it is indeed the chicken itself. Once you have that figured out, you could contact that LLL leader. I'm pretty sure if you search Turkey intolerance you'll come up with my old thread and her post is in it. She will probably have more of an idea of what to do with a poultry allergy and what foods are the best ones to try next.

Post back with an update....