Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Meats

Question Introducing Meats

My son just turned 5 months old on the 28th... Currently he's eating about 3 tablespoons of rice or oatmeal cereal once a day... We also just recently added some banana's, applesauce, or pears once a day (he only gets about 1 or 2 teaspoons of this, and sometimes he doesn't want it so we don't force him)...

I heard that breastfeed babies need to be started on meats by 6 months of age b/c of the lack of zinc in breastmilk... Is this true? I feel like we've only just started introducing solids, and my son's doctor told me meats should be last on the list...

If anyone else has insight I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

Default Re: Introducing Meats

As far as I know, you are supposed to wait until 6 months to start any solids regardless of breast or formula feedings. If you give solids too soon, your babe could develop food allergies. Is your baby taking a multivitamin? Does he have any teeth yet?

If your doc still insists on meats and you are comfortable doing that...I started out my boy with thinly sliced lunch meats first. Chicken and turkey...then ham and roast beef. But I would really try to hold off. Meats can be tricky...not to mention...they can constipate and that is no fun. Good luck!

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Our Ped did not recommend starting meats until 9 months and it has been hit or miss with them.

Hmm...I thought I read something the other day that meats were actually a good first food for bf babies.

Someone...set the record straight

Meats are actually high on the list of first foods... rice cereal's, at the bottom (or not at all) But from what I have taken from the article I refrence below is its a good food to give when weaning....

Here's a gret link from LLL regarding meats.

Here's one regarding rice cereal/first foods Below is a link from that page.

LLL suggests this progression when introducing your baby (6 months or older) to solid foods:

Ripe banana, avocado, yam, or sweet potato (sweet like breastmilk)
    Meats
    Whole-grain breads and cereals (rather than baby cereals)
    [wheat and corn are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    Fresh fruits
    [citrus fruits are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
    Vegetables
    Dairy products after 9 months
    [cow's milk is usually delayed until baby is 12-18 months old]

Some peds still go by older food standards. It's unfortunate they're not all up to date.
    FWIW - a ped can insist on whatever they may like about what to feed first or second and so on, that doesn't mean you have to comply. Especially if you are not comfortable with said suggestion.

Have fun
    Last edited by Number3; February 1st, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I think you need to be careful with lunch meats (if the earlier post was referring to deli meats) because they are very high in sodium.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha6672 View Post
    I think you need to be careful with lunch meats (if the earlier post was referring to deli meats) because they are very high in sodium.
    And nitrates.

But if you're just talking about home-made meat or jarred baby food, you can introduce it pretty early. It's also a good natural source of iron, if you are trying to add that to your LO's diet.

Thanks for the article links above -- although one of the links led to a Dr. Sears page and not the LLL article on meat. I tracked down the LLL article in Leaven:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan00p130.html

All of this is very interesting as I am now dealing with a 14-month old who is anemic, much to our surprise. I didn't realize the concerns about protein, zinc, and Bvitamins (in addition to iron) after beginning solids. And somehow I missed that LLL recommends meat as a second food. Well, he had some chicken today, but I don't want to overload him on meats eather, but instead look for veggie sources for these nutrients.

Annie

Sorry about the incorrect link guys! Thanks annie for posting the one I mean to post
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My DD hasn't had any meat yet. She is 14 months old. My doctor said it was okay for her to not eat meat as long as she is still nursing alot. DD has alot of allergies though, so I am hesitant to start her on meats.
    Does anyone know if fish is a bad food to start with for meat? We eat alot of seafood around here.