Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help--can't nurse my nightnurser for 3 nights!!!

Default Help--can't nurse my nightnurser for 3 nights!!!

I am going to have to have to have some surgery on Friday and I've spoken at length with my physician about whether the medication will interfere with breastfeeding--IT WILL. I am worried that my son, who is 15.5 months old and really only nurses at night (I work in the day) will go crazy without his "mmm-ba". Firstly, he nurses to sleep--well, he nurses and then flips over on his tummy and taps his foot until he's out. Then, we co-sleep and he nurses at least once a night! Sometimes 2 or 3 times. Recently, his interest in breastfeeding has increased since he became really comfortable at the babysitter and didn't really want it that much. If Ethan knows I'm there, he will practically rip my shirt open to get it. What should I do??? Last night, I tried to put him to sleep without nursing--I gave him a warm bottle, read him his favorite stories, rubbed his back. He wanted to nurse and it's the most heartbreaking thing in the world to see him cry like that--he just doesn't understand, you know? How do I not breastfeed for 3 whole days?? I'm a big believer in self-weaning and this has thrown me for a loop! Has anyone experienced anything similar? Thank you!

Default Re: Help--can't nurse my nightnurser for 3 nights!!!

Hi carlislerobreno,
    You must be really worried about this. Are you and your doctor *sure* about the medications? May I ask what you have to take? (Feel free to contact me via PM, if you like). Some medications have shorter half-lives and shorter peak intervals. Sometimes mothers are able to juggle nursing around the timing of the medications, depending on the dosage/times per day.
    If it really does come down to not nursing during the night, it doesn't necessarily mean that your son will wean. It will be hard for him to understand but whatever comfort measures seem to work the best may get you through. If being near the breast but not being able to have it is too upsetting for your son, maybe your partner could help out? Even though he doesn't nurse very frequently, you'll likely want to pump or express for comfort and to keep your supply. If it's surgery, will you be away overnight or at home?
    But before we get too far, I'd be happy to look up information for you from Hale's book if you think it may help you dialogue with your doctor.
    Mary

Ditto on getting a second opinion on the medications. Doctors are often quick to dismiss nursing as unimportant, especially after a year. Toddlers are also better able to metabolize drugs than infants, which is often overlooked in the medical literature- they generally assume that all nursing is done by infants.

Hale's is a much better resource on BF and meds than the Physician's Desk Reference most docs will go by.

I can relate to this since I recently had to go out of town for a few days overnight without DD for work. She was an occasional (and mostly night) nurser but usually dealt ok with everything when I wasn't here during the day (i.e. for naps). I just hadn't been away from her at night. She did wake up on the second night and asked for "ninny" but I think it was because my mom was lying in bed with her much like I co-sleep with her. Other than that, she did ok with someone just rocking her back to sleep. And she didn't wean. She's still nursing 2x/day at 19 months!

Good luck with your surgery. It would be great if the drs were wrong and you could figure out a way to nurse.