Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horrific cries...

Default horrific cries...

My 7 week has had 2 nights of horrific cries during her night time feeding. I have no clue where it's coming from. Anyone experienced this? What can I do to help her?

I would be nursing her and she would be fine for the 1st 10 mins or so. Then out of nowhere she would go crazy - unlatching, crying, relatching, squirming, grunting, unlatching, screaming, crying, relatching...it would go on for about 30 mins then she's fine, falls asleep for 10 mins then starts the screaming cries again. Please tell me that this is nothing serious.

Default Re: horrific cries...

Does your LO stay upright a lot of the time during the day? If so, it's possible that she has reflux issues and that lying down between feedings at night is painful for her. My son has pretty bad reflux and when he has the loud I'm-in-pain cries, I've found that propping him up tends to quiet him down. Maybe you could try propping her at a slight incline for 20 min or so after feedings in the evenings and see if she is calmer? HTH!

I just went through the SAME thing 2 weeks ago. Our witching hour hits around 8 pm. I still don't know what caused it, but we've found the following to be helpful:

1) Feeding baby a small amount of EBM (1 oz or less) first
    2) then nursing on both breasts until he's drowsy
    3) rocking him to sleep.

We do all of the above in a very dimly lit room.

I suspect my letdown is sluggish in the evening. We do use a bottle to feed him, but with a slow flow nipple only. For some reason, he doesn't want much at this feeding, but he wants it a little quicker than I let down. All of our other feedings are pretty normal.

HTH....Good luck!

Olivia was the same every evening, my let down isnt as fast as it is during the day so I give her EBM too and it works
    Last edited by B@bylove; January 31st, 2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

I don't think it's a letdown issue since I give her EM at night and then I top it off with the breast (its the only way I know she's getting enough). She goes through the same scary episode with the bottle and at the breast. Maybe it's reflux, but it's weird that it's happening all of the sudden and only at the last feeding. It's the sadest thing...seeing her in pain and not knowing how to help her.

One more thought....we've also found that our LO sometimes just wants to take a break in the middle of that fussy feeding to cuddle and/or look at something interesting (like the bookcase or the blinds on the window). He usually "tells" me when he's ready to nurse again by smacking his lips, gumming my neck or his hands, sticking his tongue out at me, or making his "I'm hungry" sound (hard to explain what that one sounds like). And then he'll nurse again until he sleeps...

My DS is 7wks and has been doing this off and on since the 3rd week. I attribute it to evening fussiness/colic. The cries during these episodes is not his usual, it's a scary high pitched shriek. Your LO may just have evening fussiness. You are lucky if you are only seeing it now. My DH and I call 6pm-12pm the witching hours because it seems like our LO is possessed. Initially I thought it was a supply or let down issue, but I dont think it is. I too thought it was pain, but having broken the shrieks with white noise very suddenly and observing playful moments interspersed makes me doubt its pain. Having said that, we did all the things that the previous posts suggested (give EBM in addition to nursing at the breast, give frequent short feedings, ect.). In addition, we found that white noise (in the form of loud fan in our bathroom and loud running water) will stop the crying and induce sleep.

I wonder if your baby has acid reflux. My girl does and we have to keep her upright for 20 minutes after feeding and have her sleep propped up. We have a wedge under her mattress to prevent her from lying flat. The doctor also started her on cereal at 6 weeks old. We have to use 1 teaspoon of rice cereal for every ounce of milk. This keeps the milk thicker and helps prevent it from coming back up.

However this was't enough to help my girl. She has a GI xray that showed acid reflux and was started on zantac and reglan. She is much better now at 3 months. They say that baby's grow out of this, we tried recently to take her off the med's but it was too early. We will try again at 6 months.

One way to tell if your's has acis reflux is to watch them during feeding. If feeding seems uncomfortable, if they "arch" their back, cry out at times and move around alot during feeding, chances are they have this problem.

Good luck.

I also wanted to add.....

I hate that my girl is on medication, but nothing else worked for her, and I hated to see her suffer.

One thing that helped me cope with the fear of meds.....Acid reflux can cause irritation and damage to the esophagitis and throat, so to help prevent further problems, I agreed to treat the first problem.

But maybe the elevation of head at sleep and after meals can be tried first.

Good luck!

Hi there- I am sorry your babe is having trouble. It may be reflux or could be Over active let down - or something else too...

. have you talked to her ped to find his opinion? Before giving meds I would try alternate remedies, such as upright feedings - during and after etc...

heres a great link that may help
    Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.