Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions...

Default A few questions...

Hi everyone,
    I am new here. What lucky lot you are to have a breastfeeding support group. I know of nothing like this in where I am now (Malaysia).

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out. Sorry if they have been asked before. If they have, will you direct me to the posting? Thanks in advance.

1) My baby struggles and her head moves from side to side in frustration when I try to nurse her. She is 5 weeks old. I think I am not holding her properly. I tried to follow the advice of cradling her - position: her face facing my breast, back and legs in one straight line. It is hard to get her tummy to go against mine. Her tummy and legs seemed to face up all the time, even though I tried turning her sideways. How do I turn her?

Probable Reason: Because I didn't have milk the first week and didn't know how to hold her properly, we bottlefed her the first few weeks. Also my C-section incision was hurting. I don't know if she has gotten used to the bottle. Is it too late now to try and teach her to nurse?

2) Will refrigerated breastmilk give my baby gas? Afterall, it's cold, then heated again, not like fresh from the breast.

3) It is hard to burp my baby. We would pat her back for 20 minutes of so without success. What is the best position and how to do it correctly? How long should we do it?

4) My baby has dry skin on her forehead. Can I use the baby oil to rub it?

5) What sort of activities can I play with my 5 week old baby to stimulate her? I put on soothing music, talk and read stories and sometimes hold some picture cards for her to see.

That's all for now. Please feel free to email me your answers as well: jentyh@yahoo.co.uk

Your advice is much appreciated. Once again, what a lucky group of people you are to have a support group like this. I wish we have something like this in Kuala Lumpur.

-Jenny

Default Re: A few questions...

1) Nope, not to late to teach your baby to feed at the breast. Keep trying!
    2) I don't think that refrigerated breastmilk is the problem so much as it could be bottlefeeding that's giving your little one gas. If you're bottlefeeding, try to burp often (at least after every ounce) and see if that is the problem.
    3) Burping. There's lots of positions. Lay your baby down across your lap, tummy on your legs, and pat her back. Put baby up on your shoulder and pat her back. Hold baby sitting up, with one hand across her belly, and pat her back. If she's not burping in the first 5 minutes or so, don't sweat it. In my opinion, you don't need to sit there all day trying to get a burp out.
    4) Sure, you can use baby oil. You can also use vaseline. I'd use it sparingly, though.
    5) I wouldn't worry too much about activities right now. Your baby is young enough that too many activities might actually overstimulate her (which makes for a cranky baby). Just talk to her, hold her, do the pattycake, whatever. It doesn't have to be anything huge.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you. I need to run get my son out of his bed!

Lisa

I can tell you what my experience is being a FTM to a 7wk old. 1. DS has no problem with nursing in the position you described, tummy and legs up with head towards the breast. I try to help position his head and support it by putting my thumb and fingers in the back of his head behind the ears. 2. DS also takes one bottle of refrigerated BM per day and has no gas problems associated with this. 3. Some babies don't need to be burped as much as others, it depends on how much air they end up gulping. DS often doesn't burp that often but we do try to pat him after each meal. 5. You can move objects in front of baby and see if she will track it. Also should let baby do some tummy time to help strengthen neck and arms so baby can later crawl. I talk to my baby and explain everything in very simple sentences.

Hi jentyh!
    First, congrats on the new baby! Being a new mom can be overwhelming and it's easy to feel a little lost. You've taken a wonderful step towards getting your baby back to the breast and finding support by reaching out here for help.

1) My baby struggles and her head moves from side to side in frustration when I try to nurse her. She is 5 weeks old. I think I am not holding her properly. I tried to follow the advice of cradling her - position: her face facing my breast, back and legs in one straight line. It is hard to get her tummy to go against mine. Her tummy and legs seemed to face up all the time, even though I tried turning her sideways. How do I turn her?

Probable Reason: Because I didn't have milk the first week and didn't know how to hold her properly, we bottlefed her the first few weeks. Also my C-section incision was hurting. I don't know if she has gotten used to the bottle. Is it too late now to try and teach her to nurse?

It sounds like your instincts are right here. When a baby has latch on and feeding problems following the early introduction of artificial nipples, this is often referred to as "nipple confusion." The first week was concerning to you as a new mother as you stated there was no milk. You were concerned and followed rule #1: feed the baby! You made sure that your baby received nourishment just as any good mother would. You're baby is receiving the benefits of breast milk because you are pumping.

Fortunately, nipple confusion can be corrected with a lot of patience and persistence. Many moms begin the process of getting baby back to breast by offering the breast more frequently, when the baby is responsive to feeding but before she is too hungry. Another strategy along these lines is for you to express some milk until your let down starts and then offer the breast so she will receive an instant reward for her efforts.

Good latch on technique is essential. There are some great video clips here on what a good latch looks like.

Moms also find that lots of skin to skin contact can also encourage your little one to nurse. Moms provide this through kangaroo care (you and baby skin to skin with a blanket to keep you both warm), taking warm baths together, and having a "nurse in" when you take a weekend and do nothing but lie in bed with your baby and nurse.

Some mothers find that by taking away the bottle (and all other artificial nipples) all together and using an alternative feeding method, they are able to get baby back to breast more quickly. Here is a great place to learn about other ways to offer your baby your expressed milk.

If problems continue to persist with getting your lo back to breast, I urge you to find a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) to offer assistance.

2) Will refrigerated breastmilk give my baby gas? Afterall, it's cold, then heated again, not like fresh from the breast.

It is more likely that air bubbles in the bottle will give your baby gas than the breast milk.

3) It is hard to burp my baby. We would pat her back for 20 minutes of so without success. What is the best position and how to do it correctly? How long should we do it?

Different babies respond to different methods. Here are some great suggestions on burping your baby.

4) My baby has dry skin on her forehead. Can I use the baby oil to rub it?
    Dr. Sears discusses cradle cap here along with suggestions on when to see the doctor.

5) What sort of activities can I play with my 5 week old baby to stimulate her? I put on soothing music, talk and read stories and sometimes hold some picture cards for her to see.

At this stage babies enjoy skin to skin cuddling, being carried in your arms or a sling, feeding on cue, eye to ey contact, hearing her parent's voices, womb like sounds, looking at mobiles, looking at black and white patterns, animated talk and gestures, and infant massage.

A wonderful resource on the development and care of babies in the first two years is "The Baby Book" by William Sears, M.D., and Martha Sears.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi