Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking Medication While BFing

Question Taking Medication While BFing

Hi - I'm new to the forum. I have a three day old baby girl Before and during my pregnancy I was on medication and once I delivered the doctor signed off on passing me my meds at the hospital. however, when I took the baby into the doctor's today for a follow-up visit I asked about continuing my meds and the doctor wasn't sure (I go to a family doctor rather than a pediatrician). So I'm wondering if there is a place that I can go to find out what my specific medication's specifications are. Is there an online resource or do I have to contact someone directly?

Thank you!

Default Re: Taking Medication While BFing

and welcome - and of course, congratulations on your new precious baby!

So you'd like to make sure the medication you are interested in taking again is safe while nursing. There is a reference often used. A book by Dr Thomas Hale. Medications and Mothers Milk

Another, non-LLL site that is helpful is Kellymom.com

Did your doctor give cause to why he thought it better to abstain? Simply because he wasn't sure of it's safety?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You also might get additional support in the Chronic Conditions- mother, section. Juct scroll down the different gruops.

Hi there
    I have a copy of Dr Hale's book and would be happy to look your medication up for you.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thank you all for your help.