Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Continue bf with stomach flu?

Question Continue bf with stomach flu?

My nearly 11 month old twins have had vomiting and diarrhea for 6 days.

The doctor said it was stomach flu. No one else in the house is sick (in the past the flu affected everyone in the house.)

I was told to give them Pedialite as they were losing a lot of fluids from the V+D. The doctor said I could continue to nurse. I've discontinued all solids and formula temporarily except a bit of infant cereal.

The Pedialite has helped, however one twin (the girl) vomits up most of the breast milk, projectile style and is having very painful explosive BM's. The boy is managing better, just some loose BM's. Do I continue to bf both? Just the boy?

Both babies were healthy before and getting mostly breast milk, one bottle of soy formula a day, plus infant cereal, fruits and veggies.

Default Re: Continue bf with stomach flu?

I am so sorry that your babies are ill.

Breastmilk is very quickly digested. Meaning that if you nurse your baby and she throws it up even seemingly right away, she is still getting some of the nutrition from the breastmilk.

Our ped. has always suggested to exclusively nurse rather than pedialite. I think she recommends pedialite in place of formula but has always suggested nursing for my children's stomach viruses.

I would think that in the situation of throwing up I would not be giving my baby anything but breastmilk until the throwing up has stopped.

My children seem to get a throw up bug once per year and I have always contibues to nurse exclusively until the throwing stopped and then slowly reintroduced whatever was appropriate. (other drinks or foods depending on what age they were/are)

Your body is making antibodies to fight the illness and those are being given to your babies through your breastmilk .

I hope that the illness is gone quickly.

Default Re: Continue bf with stomach flu?

Thanks Lynn

Babies are finally better today. Not 100% but doing better. V+D has stopped. Continuing with short frequent breast feeds and lots of hugs!

Libby