Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A great story!!!

Red face A great story!!!

Ladies I have a story for you that some may find encouraging.

I have 3 girls. My oldest is 13 and my second is almost 3. When I was pg with my third I KNEW I would BF her as I had done with my other 2 children. I bf each of my others for 17 months. It truly was a wonderful feeling!!!

Anyways I was scheduled for a c-section for my third. No biggie had one before. (we knew we were having another girl cause of previous 3-D us) So the Doc pulls her out and he says congradulations. No it is a boy or girl. No biggie we already knew. THen one of the nurses said that her clitoris was a bit enlarged. Well about 30 minutes after I got back in my room I was waiting for the nurses to give me my beautiful baby.

Instead the Neonatologist walks in and tells me that there is something wrong with the baby and she will have to be taken to the nearest children's hospital. I was devistated. First I was worried about her. I wanted to know what was going on and the doctors didn't know. That was scarry cause no one knew what was wrong with my baby. They brought her in to me while we waited for the transport team. She looked ok. But her blood sugars were all over the place and her electrolytes were out of wack. Also the Docs couldnt' tell me weather she was a boy or girl cause what was her clitoris was enlarged and they werent sure if it was a penis. Talk about stress!!! Well for a few hours I was able to BF my child like I had intended. She took to me right away and just love Mommies milk.

Soon the transport team came and she was off. That sent me into a panic attack. I was afraid that she wouldnt' remember me, wouldnt' want my milk, or would like the formula better than my milk. See I hadn't had my milk come in yet and could only get about a half an ounce every few hours. So the other hospital had to give her formula. She hated it. Every time they would give it to her she would throw it up. They used a nipple with her for a few days. Then I thought she would get nipple confusion. After her being at the hospital for a day they did a bunch of tests on her and come to find out she is indeed a girl. She has a disease called Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH). The extra male hormones she was exposed to inutero (this is an inherited disease) made her look a bit like a boy. Anyways when I got to her in the hospital I sat down really scared that she would reject me. I got my boppy pillow all set and put her to my breast. She started to suck away!!! Man she was like a little piggy at dinner time. oh I cried and cried tears of joy. She hadn't fogotten me. She was waiting for me to get to her and feed her the good stuff. She didnt' like the formula.

Now my little girl is 6 months and healthy. She is on medicines to help her CAH and still is BF.

Moral of my story................. even though you may go through a lot of stress don't fear!!! Your baby will love you and you still can bf your little one. It truly is one of the greatest gifts you can give your child!!

Default Re: A great story!!!

Lovely story..thanks for sharing. I wasn't able to bf for about 12-18 hours after my baby was born. Long story short she was in NICU and on IV, and C-PAP. As soon as I attempted to BF she went to town!! Mind you this is my first child I had no clue what I was doing...literally she was leading the way. It was an amazing feeling. She was also given formula to make sure she had BM to be taken off the IV. THis didn't cause any nipple confusion or anything. We have little champions on our hands. The power of bonding is stronger than any plastic.
    Thanks again for sharing. Hope your LO is well and u too.
    Have a great year.
    Eliz

That is the best thing I have read all day. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing xx

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. I think it is fantastic that you stayed prioritized on the bond between you and the baby (through BF) instead of letting the medical situation overwhelm you.