Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 wk old sleeping all day

Default 7 wk old sleeping all day

My LO is sleeping like crazy today... Last night he slept for about 4 1/2 hours (maybe 5, I am not sure, we both fell asleep nursing). He got up and had his morning gas and BM ritual for a few hours, then nursed for a longer time than he normally does, and then fell asleep. I actually had to wake him up after three hours and nurse him, then he slept four hours and I nursed him again... he doesn't have a fever, when he wakes up he is alert and normal... everything appears normal other than he is sleeping alot (I may pay for this tonight)

I have heard that when babies are growing they sleep alot, is that true? We went through the cluster feeding at 5 wks, which I thought was his 6 wk growth spurt early.

Normally he sleeps for 15 - 30 minutes between his feedings (every two hours like clockwork) until his night nursing then he sleeps for four hours and then we are back to an 1 1/2 to 2 hour nursings with short cat naps.

Just wondering if there is something I should worry about. (other than a possibility of not sleeping tonight)

Default Re: 7 wk old sleeping all day

Quote Originally Posted by Allyizhere View Post
    ... Last night he slept for about 4 1/2 hours (maybe 5, I am not sure, we both fell asleep nursing).

I actually had to wake him up after three hours and nurse him, then he slept four hours and I nursed him again... he doesn't have a fever, when he wakes up he is alert and normal... everything appears normal other than he is sleeping alot (I may pay for this tonight)

Normally he sleeps for 15 - 30 minutes between his feedings (every two hours like clockwork) until his night nursing then he sleeps for four hours and then we are back to an 1 1/2 to 2 hour nursings with short cat naps.
    For the most part it sounds normal to me. I have had a nice tempered easy going sleeper from the start. Babies will sometimes sleep really good if they get their bellies super full.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 1st, 2007 at 06:51 PM.

My 7 1/2 has the same sleeping pattern.

At night she sleeps 4-5 hours the 1st lag, then 2, then 2 and then she's up.

In the morning, she naps 1 - 1 1/2 hours every 3-4 hours.

I think it's pretty normal. As long as your LO seems happy. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

One of my best friends said her kids slept a TON when they were going through their growth spurts. It sounds normal. Whenever I think my son is sleeping "too much" I keep track of everything in a notebook and then add up the total hours spent sleeping in any given 24 hour period. For us it always ends up that he's getting LESS sleep than he's "supposed to". I think at your baby's age they need like 18 hours a day so you may find all this sleep is totally normal!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807