Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: exercising and bf

Default exercising and bf

i've always done some exercising (pilates, walking, etc....) but my son is 3 mo now and i'm amping up my exercise routine (aerobics with weights). with the change in hormones that that brings......will there be anything to watch out for in my son's bf behavior? i've heard small things here and there but never really paid any attention....guess i should have, huh?

Default Re: exercising and bf

this is a great question..I want to start exercising soonalso...Wonder why you this thread hasn't been responded to. We should call our LLL on this.
    If you get any info please post. I will.
    Eliz

I never had a problem with my boys--I trained for a 1/2 marathon while bf'ing ds#1(ah, if only I could be that motivated this time, lol). I'm not sure what sort of problems one would have. Are you referring to the lactic acid that can be in bm after strenuous exercise? I've heard it can effect the taste of bm, and that some babies refuse to nurse soon after moms exercise, but that wasn't the case for me.

I do know that you have to make sure you are well hydrated and consume adequate calories too.

HTH,

Angela

I always feed before excersing that way the lactic acid will pretty much be gone by time she's ready to nurse again, plus, not feeling "full" while exercising is nice too LOL Good luck!!

Make sure you drink your water. BF before exercising helps too. Otherwise, you should be fine.

ah, yes! it was the lactic acid that i read about.....glad to know you had no problems, i'm sure we'll do fine. thank you!