Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weird dr's advice

Default weird dr's advice

My pediatrican recomended at our 1 month apt that I cut back on nursing to every 4 hrs. Everything I read, including the material from the office says that I should be feeding 8-12 times a day. That is not possible if I only nurse every 4 hours. Why would the Dr. suggest such a thing? My dd is feeding and gaining well (about 1 oz a day). I have talked with a LC and am planning on ignoring the suggestion and continuing to nurse on demand. Just wanted to know if anyone had heard of such a thing or if there was a real reason for it?

Default Re: weird dr's advice

That sounds like the advice of someone who's not too educated about breastfeeding. On-demand feeding is the best way to truly establish your milk supply for one thing. Plus, tiny babies need to eat when they need to eat! Feed that baby when he's (she's?) hungry!

I think you're right to ignore the advice!

Most definitely ignore!! Maybe there was a miscommunication?? That doesn't make any sense! On demand is the way to go.

bottle fed babies are usually on a 4 hour schedule. maybe your dr didnt realize that you were breastfeeding. either way a breastfed baby should be eating every 2-3 hours. i agree that you are right to ignore the advice on that one -but maybe you should ask the dr why the suggestion was made -after all you dont want to stay with a dr that your not comfortable with the decisions of.

Changing to a nursing pattern of every four hours when baby should be nursing much more often sets mom up for a cycle of lower milk supply and a hungry baby that will likely lead to supplements.

Even the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends nursing babies on demand. If you decide to discuss it further with your pediatrician, you might consider mentioning that. It is always good to get a second, third or even fourth opinion whenever someone, even a doctor, gives breastfeeding advice. And make sure at least one of your sources is an expert in breastfeeding, like LLL or an IBCLC (certified lactation consultant). Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation being given about breastfeeding, and some of it even comes from the medical community.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Thanks for the responses. It is always nice to know that I am not out in left field with this!

When I gave birth to my DD 3 years ago the L&D nurses in the hospital told me to nurse her every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. Stupidest BFing 'advice' I ever got! Newborns have no concept of day/night, and 4 hours between feedings is usually too long for ME, much less a rapidly-growing little person with a tiny stomach! Do what your instincts tell you to do!

My ped told me to cut back the length of time my ds should feed when he was about 4-5 weeks old.. . and we listened. BAAAAD Move! My little guy was so unhappy and I just cried right along with him. We ended up with a stressed out mom, a confused dad and a little one who after two weeks, was then instructed by a different ped. to be supplemented 1 oz of formula with every feeding and one bottle a night of all formula. UUUUUuuuugh! My ds was miserable w/ the formula: spitting up & stinky. I told the ped I was going to go back to what my ds wanted and the lactation consultant at the hospital said "Let him go as long as he wants". I also chose to pump each night as to maintain my supply. After two weeks he was back on track w/ his weight. We have eliminated all but one bottle at night because he is still a little light according to the bf-ing growth curve. He is at 13 weeks and nurses every three hours w/ cluster feedings in the mornings.

You obviously know deep down in your mommy mind that this just the right thing for your little one, so do what feels right because it probably is right for your baby!

Best of luck

My son, who is 16 months old, hast JUST NOW gotten to where he nurses about every 4 hours during the day!! I agree with all the previous posts! Many doctors are sadly misinformed about breastfeeding, so it helps to talk with your LLL group or a lactation consultant to get information!!