Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week Old Baby Nursing for about 10 min...

Default One Week Old Baby Nursing for about 10 min...

Hi. FTM and first time posting. I have a 7 day old baby who nurses for about 10 minutes then I try to take him off to put him on the other breast and he falls asleep. Deep sleep. Washing his face doesn't help, doing the baby doll thing, walking my fingers up his spine... he still sleeps but will sometimes wake up and nurse from the second breast after a short nap.

He seems to be getting enough. We're in the right range for diaper changes and he is feeding 8-10 times per day.

Should I let him nurse as long as he wants on the first breast and just catch the second breast next time or continue to try to put him on both?

I'm probably just being nervous and this will probably work itself out. We're both new to this.

I read in one book that babies have "patterns." My baby is falling into the "rester" pattern. He eats, rests and then eats.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: One Week Old Baby Nursing for about 10 min...

Welcome, and congrats on your little babe!

Sounds like you're off to a good start, based on the diaper output. Don't worry too much about feeding on both sides. There's no reason you have to feed on both sides every time. The rule of thumb is that you try to get your baby to empty one side, then offer the other if he still seems hungry.

Here is what I did when my son was a newborn, when he fell asleep at the breast, and wouldn't wake up....I would usually reserve changing the diaper for after I fed the first breast. It would usually wake him up (he screamed, poor guy) and then I'd feed the other side. After breastfeeding was well-established, my little guy lost interest in feeding on both sides during a feeding, so I'd just feed one side at each feeding. He still got plenty.

Lisa

Hi and congratulations on your new edition. Definetely let your baby nurse on one breast as long as he wants. This allows him to receive the hindmilk as well as foremilk. When he is done you can then burp him and offer the other breast if he wants it, or offer it at his next feeding. Let your baby tell you when he's done. Good luck.

Congrautlations on your LO and welcome. This board has always been able to help me with just about any frustration.

HOw long is your LO going between eating? I would strip my DD down to just her diaper a lot of times to try to keep her awake. That the putting a cold washcloth on her face usually worked.

But - if your LO is having good diaper output and gaining weight. I wouldnt worry too much.

As long as stool and wet diaper numbers are ok and baby gaining weight, it should be fine. I too am a FTM with DS at 6wks old. DS often only feeds 10 min or less on one breast since birth. He nurses every 1-2 hrs and is 13 lbs now so I assume its ok that he has this pattern. For the first two wks, DS would go into comatose sleep during the day for like 4 hrs at a time. It's impossible to wake him during these spells. This type of deep deep sleep may not last long. DS's comatose sleep phase ended the 3rd week or so.

My LO eats for about 7 - 10 minutes on one breast since birth to about a week or two ago, now he is eating about 10 -15 minutes on one breast.. I tried the switching the breasts and had BM that turned green, which means he is not getting the good milk (hind milk I think), so I stay with just feeding one breast until he is done, BUT I will say that I have a great milk supply, the joke around the house is I can feed my LO and a third world country, so what works for one may not work for another... I wouldn't stress about it though everything sounds like it is going great! Keep up the good work and congratulations!

I second the suggestion to change his diaper to wake him up if you think he's not getting enough. I also sat him up on my knee with my hand on his belly, supporting his head of course and patted him on the back to burp him. he would usually wake up in this position. Or i would use the opportunity to clean his umbilical cord stump. My pedi told me that most babies will get 90% of the milk in the breast in the first 10 minutes. So as long as your baby is having enough wet diapers (and mind you they should be really wet, not just a little damp, urine should be clear not dark) and gaining enough weight he's probbaly fine.

My lo nurses about 10 minutes on both sides each feeding right now and he's 3 weeks. i read somewhere that there are women who don't even have a difference in fat content between foremilk and hindmilk. I think its true for me since after hand expressing milk for just a couple minutes I get the creamy milk that rises to the top as well as the watery stuff. my ds is gaining weight just fine even though he doesn't "finish" either breast and his diapers are yellow/seedy colored so we must be doing something right

My lo only nursed for about 10 minutes also. just make sure that you are starting on the opposite side for the next feeding so that you get an even milk supply.

Thanks! I guess I'm just nervous because I want to do the best for him.

I love reading these posts. It's nice to know others have some of the same concerns that I have.

Thanks again. I have gone to changing his diaper inbetween breasts, that seems to be helping but I'm also going to leave him on the first breast longer.

Now how long before my nipples toughen up a little?? : )

Ah, nipple pain... everything you read says they should only hurt for "a few days" if you're doing it correctly but I think it's more like a few weeks. One girlfriend I had took about 2 weeks, another 6 weeks and for me it was 9 weeks of pain but we had problems, mostly thrush (ouch!). Anyways, as long as you're sure your baby's latch is good and your positioning is good, just stick with it and it should get better soon. 7 days is so early! You're doing so great already and it gets SO MUCH easier as time goes on. Keep us posted.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807