Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help baby is low weight gain

Default need help baby is low weight gain

My baby is 6months and weights 15lbs. He was born at 5lb 11oz. I have breastfeed exclusively. He eats about 8 times a day about 4 times are at least 20 minutes and the 4 are about 10mintues due to the fact that he becomes distracted. He eats solid twice a day for lunch and dinner. The doctor had suggested I eat more fatty food and drink more liquids. I did what the doctor suggested but he only gains 2lbs like the previous months. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking I should give him formula. However, I was planning on breastfeeding for a year. Can someone help me?

Default Re: need help baby is low weight gain

Hi dani, 15 pounds sounds great. My ten month old just hit 17 pounds. Can you tell me more about why you and or the doctors are concerned about dc? In the meantime you may want to consider the following;

Cut back on the solids, so that he nurses more, your breast milk has the most fat/calories for him

nurse in a dark room, with or without a noise machine so that he will not be so distracted

try breast compressions to keep him interested and the milk flowing...

I really feel that as long as a baby is having good out put, teetee and poopy diapers, is happy and healthy and is meeting his milestones, then despite what the scales/charts say, he is fine.
    you may also want to check out drjaygordon.com, look at the baby not the scale.

Hi Brittan,

Could you tell me about breast compressions? He has enough diaper changes and is very happy and meeting his milestones. The doctor thinks he should be gaining 3 or 4lbs a month. Was the doctor ever concerned about your son weight gain?

Oh yes, they were concerned and we had to have a monthly weight check. He is fine though, just a small guy. Breast compressions are where you kinda cup your breast and gently push down toward the nipple, if you have ever hand expressed it would be much like that. It just kinda helps the milk keep flowing. You do not have to do it constantly, just every once in a while to keep the interest up I think that you ped may be misinformed, check on the LL site or the Kelly mom site for the averages but you see when a baby is an infant I am pretty sure that the avg is an ounce a day which would equal about two pounds a month. Yeah he is def wrong, you see I think after 6 months or so the weight gain slows way down. Please be encouraged I think that your ds is just fine. Check out those websites and also you may want to get a second op ion??

Dani,
    I do not know if this helps at all but my baby was born at 5 lbs. 5 ozs (at 37 weeks). She is now 4 months, 1 week and weighs about 12 lbs. So, like your baby, mine will probably weigh about 15 lbs at 6 months. She is healthy and generally happy. My doctor had no concerns about her weight as long as the weight is a steady increase, diaper count is good, meeting milestones, etc. it is fine if they are small. Are there any other reasons for your doctor to be concerned?

Hi, That does make me feel better. My son is meeting all the other requirement like milestone and #diapers. I lost about 20lbs after having the baby not on purpose just from having a new baby and all the work. The doctor first thought I didn't have enough fat in my diet. Now that I start to keep track of what I eat he still tells me I need to nurse more during the day so he can gain more weight.

my dd is almost 4 months and not even 12lbs,
    she is in the 25th percentile.my ped said she is just fine and told me not to worry
    sorry for the short answer but i am nursing

My daughter is almost 7 months and at her 6 month check up had lost weight so we have been going to weekly weigh ins etc. The lactation people at the hospital are thrilled to see that she is gaining 6-8 oz a week they told me that at this age 3-4 oz is "normal", so 6-8 is where she should be for "catching up". Hope that helps!!

Hi Dani,

Your ds sounds great! He gained almost 10 lbs in 6 months! According to LLLI's Breastfeeding Answer Book, the average weight gain for BF babies in the first 3-4 months in 6oz./wk. For the next two months it is 4-5oz./wk. That equates to 8-8.5lbs in the first 6 months, on average, meaning there will be babies below this number and above as well. As you can see, he is above average!

My daughters were both born at about 6lbs. 6oz. One dipped to 5lb. 15 oz, the other did not lose at all. At six months they were both about 14.5 lbs. Their ped. at the time was never concerned, as long as weight gain was steady. They are individuals and were growing according to their own rates. I remember the ped. marking on one of the girl's charts that I (mom) was 5 feet 2 inches and my husband was 5 feet 6 inches. Are you or dh petite? Any of your siblings? This is not *always* an indicator of where our babies are heading, but it can help to look to see where the petite genes are coming from. I am short, but not *petite*. All on my dh side are short and petite. So I can see dd's are following them and will probably look just like my SIL.

The wonderful thing about BF is that we know, if we are feeding on cue, that our babies are growing at the exact pace that is normal for them. They will take just the amount they need, and you will make just the right amount to suit them!

I would suggest you keep doing as you have been. Allow ds to nurse when he needs it. When you are ready, introduce solids slowly so as to avoid having them replace too much of your milk. And by all means, look at your baby! If he is healthy and thriving in every other way, then he is just the size he is because he is who he is. There are many sizes of adults, and many sizes of babies as well.

HTH!

Thank you for the information. I definitely feel better about his weight