Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby getting lazy at BF..need help

Default baby getting lazy at BF..need help

Recently, my LO is getting very lazy at eating. He'll eat vigorously for the first few minutes, then seems to get lazy. It almost looks like he gumming or chewing the breast instead of sucking. He goes to daycare and I've recently gone down from 3 5oz bottles to 2 bottles. The reason for this is because I'll usually feed him when I get home around 6p. I figured he'd be a better eater if he only ate 2x at daycare and would be more eager to eat when I got home. It doesn't seem to be working though. My pumping output at work has dropped drastically and only get 10oz or less over 4 pumping sessions. I used to get 18oz for the day. I don't know if his laziness has effected my pumping output, but I'm puzzled on what to do. I'd hate to have to dip into my freezer stash, but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions???

Default Re: baby getting lazy at BF..need help

Before I decided to be A SAHM, I talked to the LC at the pedi's office about pumping when I went back to work. She told me to pump as many times as the baby was getting a bottle. If your LO is taking 10 oz and you are pumping 10 oz for the next day, you shouldn't have to dip into your freezer stash. I do understand your concern about not having any extra though. By the way, I see you are from Rochester. I live about a hour away from there.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

I work 2 twelve hour shifts Sat-Sun so I can be home with my little Sophie during the week. I take my pump with me and pump on my breaks. Would you be able to do this? It helps keep my supply up.

But I will tell you this, My daughter did the same thing a few weeks ago, since I have to add cereal to her milk, I pump and bottle feed. So I know how much she gets. Anyway, I noticed a decrease in her eating for several days. I also noticed she was sleeping more. Being a first time mommy, this scared me. So off to the doctor we went. Through a basic exam they found that her throat was very red...hence, a sore throat. Her daddy had a sore throat the week before and I guess she caught it from him.

Her symptoms were....decreased intake, would either fall asleep after drinking for 5 or 10 minutes, or after drinking a partical bottle, she would push it away.

good luck!
    Hopefully, this isn't your tot's problem, but I never thought about a sore throat and wished someone would have mentioned it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmt13 View Post
    Recently, my LO is getting very lazy at eating. He'll eat vigorously for the first few minutes, then seems to get lazy. It almost looks like he gumming or chewing the breast instead of sucking. He goes to daycare and I've recently gone down from 3 5oz bottles to 2 bottles. The reason for this is because I'll usually feed him when I get home around 6p. I figured he'd be a better eater if he only ate 2x at daycare and would be more eager to eat when I got home. It doesn't seem to be working though. My pumping output at work has dropped drastically and only get 10oz or less over 4 pumping sessions. I used to get 18oz for the day. I don't know if his laziness has effected my pumping output, but I'm puzzled on what to do. I'd hate to have to dip into my freezer stash, but I'm at a loss. Any suggestions???
    hi! You need 1 to 1 1/2 oz for every hour your gone. You could have them try a sippy cup, maybe its the bottle that is unappealing?
    I'd head over to the pumping group on the forun, just scroll down. Often the first few weeks of adjustment can be trick for both.
    So about your milk. How much fluid are you drinking. Are you staring at a picture of your baby or anything to encourage let down? The greatest cue you have is sound, make a recordng of your babies cries. how old is bb?