Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby led solids - dealing with criticism?

Default Re: baby led solids - dealing with criticism?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Ruvalcaba View Post
    My baby only eats cereal and gerber because she won't take the bottle but I nurse her when I get home from work. Grandma says she should eat alot since she is not getting any milk. Is that true?
    Hi there please see the other thread you posted as I gave some informative links that may help you.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Totally agree with DJ's mom. Baby led is all the best I've had 4 kiddos my self and my last is totally self fed. I didn't know that it was called that till I read it here. It just seemed natural at the time. I seen all the gagging and wasn't so scaraed when my last one chucked up his meal, I was just happy he was ok. But it takes time to be the way we can be. Gagging is not choking and I think thats where we as mothers, go scared. It takes time to realize that your oooh so LO can need to say Vomit his or her meal back up to be ok.
    KWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniela View Post
    I wish you good luck and well done for going child-led. You sound braver than me, I panicked in the beginning and still panick, about the choking.
    Thanks! There are several threads here in the solids area on baby gagging vs. choking which I found very helpful to read.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14604
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14866

DH and I (and also local grandparents) took a baby safe class that included baby CPR & choking instruction. I HIGHLY recommend taking an infant CPR class!

I hope to never need to use these skills, but feel more comfortable knowing what to do. When we were doing the 1st avocado I was holding LO on my lap and could tell he was trying to get the food out of his mouth so I was on the edge of my chair to do choking procedure if he wasn't able to gag it out and started choking. I found out later that my sister, dad and DH were all also all on the edge of their chairs ready to jump in if needed.
    Last edited by lsksam; February 1st, 2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added links to other threads
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I'm really annoyed that I never heard of baby led 'till now. My son is almost 9 months old and I've been giving him cereal and purees.

I feel that my son is healthy and happy ,so I'm not too concerned, but the whole idea does make a lot of sense. For the past two days I've been putting some thin slices of avocado on his tray and WOW. It was quite a show. I really didn't like the gagging though.

I barely have the time to spend on this forum and educate myself on what people are doing. It's quite frustrating.

I think, I just need to relax. My husband is also SO confused with all the contradictory stuff that is out there. I've had SO MANY - make that almost everyone tell me we are CRAZY for co-sleeping.

Whatever! I miss my son, I hear him jumping in his exersaucer.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    ETA #2
    Since MIL said it to DH, no need to worry for you, right?
    Oh! I love this response! I never heard the MIL comment directly so therefore it doesn't exist for me.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)