Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep at Night

Default Sleep at Night

When is a baby able to sleep through the night. I have a 2 month old who still get up almost every 3 hours. I'm not sure how to get her to sleep at night. We also struggle with naps during the day. Actually I really can't get this baby to sleep that much anymore!!

Default Re: Sleep at Night

My answer would to be to take your baby into your bed. I am sure there are links on this website to tell you how to do this safely. Mummy's who are exclusively breastfeeding are 'in-tune' with their babies and can do this safely.
    best wishes
    Amanda

Two months old is pretty young. Babies have tiny tummies and need food around the clock. My 3 1/2 mo old still wakes every 2-3 hours at night to nurse. We have him in our bed and it's wonderful because he wakes up, I sit up, pick him up (we haven't mastered nursing while lying down yet), he nurses about 5-8 minutes (he's very efficient) and then we're both back to sleep. If he poops I get up to change his diaper otherwise I just change it once during the night when it gets really full of pee. I don't know the age when "most" babies "sleep through the night" but you have a while I think. Also, remember sleeping through the night only means 5-6 hours! Good luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

My DD is 5 months and still does not sleep through the night. She does give me a decent stretch between 8pm-1am on most nights and then another feeding between 4 and 5 am. But now that she is teething, sometimes she will want to nurse more frequently through the night. She may not be sleeping the whole night, but at least it isn't every three hours anymore. Just hang in there. Things should get better pretty soon. But every baby is different, so you probably won't get a definite answer. I've heard that when they eat more solids they will sleep longer through the night, but I'm not sure. We're not at that point yet.
    Good Luck to you and your LO.

Quote Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
    When is a baby able to sleep through the night.

I'm so sorry. I don't mean to be mean, but I have to laugh! My 10 mos old STILL does not sleep through the night! He's up every 2-3 hrs. Some babies sleep well, some don't. At your LO's age, it's way too early to know which type your baby will be. Like the PP stated, your LO's tummy is still very small and nursing a night is probably still a requirement for her. My DS nursed every 1-2 hrs around the clock for the first 6-8 wks. Most people who say that baby should be sleeping through the night at 8 wks are FFeeders who schedule feedings every 4 hrs.

Also, keep in mind. Sleeping through the night, by definition, is a 5 hr stretch, not 7, 8, 9 hrs like we would like.

Find a sleeping arrangement that works best for your family and gets the most amount of sleep for all. For some that means co-sleeping or keeping baby in a bassinet next to you at night.

Hang in there!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I also wanted to add that the age your baby is is just about the time their patterns start to change - to the point that just about the time you figure out when they like to sleep, they change it up on ya! No worries though. there is nothing wrong with your baby, or what you're doing. I agree with a previous poster in that if you can co sleep- do look into it.
    Also - to add from my experience my older two didn't sleep through the night regularly until they were over 1 year.

Hang in there. they are only this young once - cherish the quiet nights you have with her
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Every baby is different. My DD didn't start sleeping through the night (5 hours in a row) until she was about 6 months old. Hang in there.

Heres a link on sleeping through the night
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Ds who is now 4 months old starting sleeping longer stretches the last few weeks-around 3 1/2 months. He goes to sleep at around 6 or 7pm and wakes anywhere between 3 and 5 am. I am thrilled because he was waking at 10:30, 1pm, 3pm and then 6am for the first months. It happened all of a sudden but I am prepared for it to change if it does. I just keep in my mind that this period is only temporary-they grow so fast. I can hardly beleive he is 4 months already!