Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11monthold

Default 11monthold

I have been pumping 2x's/day for about 9 months now since I returned to work to give him 3 bottles/day while I'm away. Now that my son is eating quite a bit of solids my supply is starting to decrease. Should I go with the natural pattern or should I be working on upping my supply to keep up those bottles? He is still very fond of his bottles and nursing when we are together so we are not ready for weaning yet. I know with formula babies people start topping the bottles off with cow's milk but I wasn't sure how this works for breastfed babies.

Default Re: 11monthold

I am in the same boat. My son is now 11 months and my supply is decreasing. He now only drinks about one bottle of ebm a day, and nursed about three times when we are together. A month ago I went from 3 pumps a day to two. Now that he is 11 months, I am thinking I will soon go to 1 a day. My supply has been graduadly decreasing, and his demand is alot less. I have decided to go with the natural flow of things. I hope you get some more input on this.

It's up to you. Many mothers do choose to go with the natural flow of things and feed baby more solids and other liquids while mother is away, and nurse more when they are together. Your production will probably decrease some with the decreased demand, but it will not go away. As long as you're removing milk, more will be made. And breastmilk is a valuable part of baby's diet well beyond the first year!

Some mothers do choose to continue to pump well into the second year of life. This way, they can continue to provide their baby with breastmilk while they are at work.

So, if you're ready to begin weaning from the pump, go for it! If you would prefer to continue providing your baby with at least some breastmilk while you're at work, continue pumping! It's whatever works for YOU and for YOUR family.

I have such a large frozen stash, that he will still be drinking bm untill late spring, maybe early summer.