Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Formula due to low supply

Unhappy Formula due to low supply

I am not able to keep up with my son's needs by pumping any more. I have gone through all of my frozen supply and I no longer make enough during the day so that he can have enough milk at daycare. He is 6.5 months old and I REALLY wanted to breastfeed exclusive until he was at least a year. Does anyone have suggestions for me. I am going to have to supplement with formula for the time being. So does anyone have any recommendations on formulas. I never even researched any because I didn't want him to have any.

Default Re: Formula due to low supply

If I choose to supplement, what is the best formula to use?

Have you considered taking measures to increase your milk supply? Supplementing will ultimately lead to you having even less of a supply than you do now.

How Can I Increase My Milk Supply?

HTH!

I'm currently using similac isomil with my son. He couldn't take the regular advance so we switched him to a soy. saying that, I am trying to pump my milk...so no backlash towards me please

Oh, Jessiiee2005, many of us know your story, so there will be no backlash here! Only lots of support! What you are doing is tremendous! You should be very proud of the effort you are putting into relactating.
    <<<hugs>>>

I plan to keep pumping and trying to pump more often but for now, he has to have food.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    Oh, Jessiiee2005, many of us know your story, so there will be no backlash here! Only lots of support! What you are doing is tremendous! You should be very proud of the effort you are putting into relactating.
    <<<hugs>>>
    thank you! I've been put down for it before though so I've becom very cautious about what I say. I also feel like I have to defend myself too sometimes. Some people think that just because I'm not exclusively bfing that I'm a bad mom. even though I'm trying really hard to at least pump some milk for him. I do want to thank everyone for the support I've been given.

and sorry about hijacking your thread alexandersmama!!

Hi AlexandersMom,
    I had to supplement with formula for a few weeks when dd was first born and not sucking effectively... Horizon makes an organic formula, and that is what I used. I felt better knowing that at least it didn't contain all the hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides that are typically present in commercial cows milk, and the formulas made from it.

As for increasing milk supply (cause I had that problem too), in addition to feeding as often as possible and pumping, I found that eating a few teaspoons a day of nutritional yeast seemed to really help. A nurse at my OB's office recommended it to me. I know that some women find fenugreek helpful, or a tincture called More Milk Plus.

Good luck!

I have had to supplement as well due to sucking problems until my twins mature more. I have extensively researched formulas. Research has pointed to high manganese levels in causing ADHD. Similac Advance is the best out there that has low levels of manganese - mcg. I called their company and they said that they don't except cows that are treated with rBST for their formula. I thought that was very commendable. Soy formulas have the highest levels of manganese - as high as 37 mcg. The recommended daily amount for infants is 4 to 5 mcg. So as you can see, it really is best to try and get the lowest. Small infants cannot excrete the manganese from their liver as well as older children due to it not being as mature yet. The manganese stays in their body and accumulates over time. There are some interesting articles if you do a google.com search or go to Dr. Mercola's web-site and type in the subject. Wal-Mart just came out with an organice formula. I think that is wonderful. The only thing is that the manganese level is 15 mcg. I wrote a letter to their company encouraging them to lower that amount. Hopefully in time, we will be able to get rid of the supplement.

Oregon Mom - how long did it take for your little one's suck to mature? What was the situation?