Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Had oatmeal and slept through but doesn't anymore

Default Had oatmeal and slept through but doesn't anymore

Hi,

My ds is 7 months old. He started on solids about three weeks ago. He's having some fruit and veg, yogurt and had oatmeal too. I offer him the foods three times a day but sometimes he won't have it which is fine.

On the three consecutive days, last week, when he had oatmeal + veg/fruit for dinner he slept through for the first time (3 nights!!). Now he doesn't want the oatmeal anymore and is waking up at around 1 am. He woke even last night when his dinner was avocado and yogurt, I was surprised.
    He will only fall asleep after I feed him so I guess is hunger. or could it be something else? Do you think the oatmeal / sleep through "theory" makes sense?

Should I try to nightwean him or do you think it will happen naturally?

Thanks for any suggestions

Default Re: Had oatmeal and slept through but doesn't anymore

Some of your questions, just don't have answers and I am sorry.

As far as nightweaning goes, that's up to you. How many times does your baby nurse in the daytime?

I do not think there is a corelation between sleeping at night and eating, just per luck. And even if it did help, you can't force him to eat the Oatmeal, KWIM? Once your baby sleeps through the night, you really can't think it's going to happen every night. When they do, praise God, and enjoy it. It could be he's teething, or having a growth spurt too. You never know.

Good luck and hugs.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; January 31st, 2007 at 09:25 AM.

Consider yourself lucky. My dd has never slept through the night...in fact she wakes up every 2 hours. It could be any number of things. He's 7 months old...I think night weaning is a bit premature. He is probably hungry, or needing you...either way, do you really want to deny him nursing?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree with the pp. Seems premature to night wean. My little guy is 6 mos and I looked at lots of stuff in books and on-line, most of the titles were, Nightweaning your toddler. The first day he had solids he woke only twice to nurse, and I thought I was on to something, but no. He's back at the all-night buffet, self-serve.

My DS is also 7 months old. Everyone told me that once he started eating cereal, he would sleep through the night. Well....no such luck. I give him oatmeal about a hour before bedtime. It does not make one bit of difference. I thought about stopping that, but he really enjoys the oatmeal. He was getting up every 2 hours, but now I get him up at about 11pm before I go to bed and nurse him. He doesn't really wake up and that gets me till about 3am. Good luck.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

I think the oatmeal could help. I think it keeps babies full longer than rice. My son, who is also 7 months, finally cut out his 5am feeding at 6 months after we introduced solids and we usually give him oatmeal or barley as his nightime cereal.

As for night weaning, I am not sure why people say it's too early if you are up for it. My doctor said I could cut out all night feedings at 5 months and that the baby would just nurse more during the day to make up for it, but since he was only waking up once and I didn't mind it I never did anything about it until he cut it out the last feeding on his own at 6 months. All of my friend's babies of this age sleep through the night and I thought it was expected that babies did that by now. Maybe see what your doctor says?

Here's a link on Sleeping through the night you may like to peruse

Here's one on giving solids and sleeping "better"

Here's
    on on nightweaning

Nightwean if you think you should but I wouldn't yet. Cherish these moments as they are fleeting. They grow very fast ...

JMO
    Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Oh I really don't want to force the nightweaning, I prefer things to happen naturally. I was just wondering about the relation between solids and sleep.

Anyway, even if the oatmeal helped, he's completely rejecting it.

Thanks for all the responses for a silly question

Quote Originally Posted by Daniela View Post
    Oh I really don't want to force the nightweaning, I prefer things to happen naturally. I was just wondering about the relation between solids and sleep.

Anyway, even if the oatmeal helped, he's completely rejecting it.

Thanks for all the responses for a silly question
    oh it's not silly!! All questions are good ones its how we learn
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.