Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How/when to pump when dealing with OALD?

Default How/when to pump when dealing with OALD?

Okay, so I >think< I have OALD and now I'm only feeding on one breast per session to try and get my supply down a bit, but in the meantime I have a pumping question.

I was pumping once or twice a day after the baby (5 weeks old) finished eating to try and build up a small supply in the freezer so DH could feed him in the evenings. I wonder if this was what caused my supply to build up too much? Anyway, any suggestions on how to accomplish this now? I'd still like for hubby to be able to take over one feeding a day to give me a break, but I'm worried that if I pump at all it'll counteract my actions to get the supply down.

Sorry to vent all over you guys, but this is SO frustrating! I really want to keep up breastfeeding, but he's so fussy and crying while he feeds - he's bobbing off and on the breast constantly that I can't keep a good latch and my nipples are always sore!

Could really use some support and your feedback here. Thanks guys!
    ~Suzanne

Default Re: How/when to pump when dealing with OALD?

It sounds like you're doing everything you should be. If your letdown is too much for him, you can try breaking his suction and letting yourself spray into a cloth diaper, then put him back on when the flow slows down. This is what I had to do with both of my babies.

Hold on!!!!!!!! I had the same problem and my little one is now 6 months old. I felt like giving up too but her little round body and face make me glad I didn't. I'd follow the advice of the previous post. I hope it gets better soon. One thing that worked for me was nursing while reclining. It was almost like she was laying on my stomach. I had a bunch of pillows propped up behind me but it did help her latch. Hope that helps.

I went through the same thing too, it was awful. I pumped several times a day between feedings because all my friends said to "pump pump pump", and ended up with way too much supply, a scared choking baby, and lots of tears. My DS became afraid of the breast, and screamed at every feeding. I almost gave up, but I'm so glad I didn't. Everything you are doing eventually worked for me, it took a great deal of patience and time. I fed on one side for several hours-I had so much extra milk that I had to do so for almost 6 hours, to engorge the other side. Also feeding laying down really helped, to go against gravity. I switched to a hand pump instead of electric (my LC recommended doing this), because the electric pump stimulated my nipples too much, and I would only pump the first letdown so the flow would not be too strong on baby. I would recommend medela hand pump, it's so easy to use, and gentle. I didn't pump at all for 2 full weeks just to regulate my supply, and my breasts eventually felt softer, and my ds eventually handled the flow better. I know what you are going through. Its so hard, but hang in there! It will get better and more manageable.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne55 View Post
    Okay, so I >think< I have OALD and now I'm only feeding on one breast per session to try and get my supply down a bit, but in the meantime I have a pumping question.
    Hmmm. I'm not so sure that REDUCING your supply will do very much to help the OALD. In fact even if you have very little milk, you let down is reall y going to be the same. Who told you less milk would help? The advice to pop off your bb and let it spray into the cloth and when it eased up to put bb back on was good. So was the feed you baby against gravity trick. Lean back in a lazy boy or something.
    But making less milk, well, I just don't think thats going to make much of a difference. My .02$.

No, making less milk will only mean that you make less milk. OALD is the actual force of whatever milk you do have rushing down into the nipple (and the force it comes out). I found that pumping a little bit before I nurse my son has helped. I have also noticed that as he's getting older, he's more able to control the flow or to handle the OALD without getting drowned out, so I'm not needing to pump as much anymore.

Pumping a little milk out will not affect your supply if you are exclusively breastfeeding. So, you don't have to worry about that.

Unhappy Re: How/when to pump when dealing with OALD?

I have this same exact problem currently, but my problem is that I am fulltime back at work, and need to have bottles for her while I'm gone. What do I do now??? I have OALD and an over supply issue. I do the reclining position and keep her upright if I can to nurse, which is tricky. I could use some advice. I am SO frustrated at the breastfeeding situation but I don't want to stop after going through everything at the beginning. I also love the bonding, especially now since I'm not home all the time. But she seems to be scared of the breast and starts to arch her back and cry just getting into position. I'm so depressed about it. My husband isn't much help since he says to just pump exclusively so she'll be happier and get less air at each feeding. I guess he just doesn't understand. No one seems to around me. My family always questions my decision on BF and says it's so much easier to use formula. I just know BF is best. Why wouldn't I?? I guess right now I feel alone in my efforts and upset/frustrated/depressed that my baby doesn't even want to nurse from me and that she's more content with an artificial version. It breaks my heart everytime she fusses, or to think of not BFing anymore. I could really use some encouragement or some advice to help out this situation of mine. OH, and to top it all off, the Air Force is thinking of deploying me within the next 4 months, for 4 months. I'll be home just in time for her 1st Birthday, I hope...
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading...