Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: horrific cries...

Default Re: horrific cries...

Maybe it's gas? You'd be surprised how much a baby can cry when they're full of trapped gas. My first dd acted like that during/after feedings. We had xrays done and her tummy was full of bubbles. We tried everything, burping often, gas drops, changing nipples on the bottle. She was formula fed so we switched formulas and that did the trick.

My ds is bf and does it sometimes but not that bad. Mycelon drops are enough to help him. I can rarely get a burp out of him after he nurses but he toots a lot. Sometimes he'll start grunting and crying, we give him some of the gas drops and soon after he starts tooting and calms down.

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadMama26 View Post
    Maybe it's gas? You'd be surprised how much a baby can cry when they're full of trapped gas. My first dd acted like that during/after feedings. We had xrays done and her tummy was full of bubbles. We tried everything, burping often, gas drops, changing nipples on the bottle. She was formula fed so we switched formulas and that did the trick.
    It's interesting that you say it might be formula. I also supplement with formula, but doing it since she was 5 weeks. We stopped for a week and recently reintroduced it. Didn't think it would be that since she seemed fine before. Can I ask which formula you switched to? We use Enfamil LILIP w/ iron.
    Last edited by sweetmadeline; February 1st, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Same things happned with with me, my DS started to bahe same way around the 7th week.. n I think it was coz of the slow flow ..u know at evnings we dont make as much milk as mornings...i also read that babys start to fuss bout the slow flow around the 7th week...

well first i thought he was in pain n wat not..but anywyas, i realized he got no other symptoms..so i ruled it out..the Latching Consultant told me that our body will get adjusted to the needs of the baby in some time..in 2 weeks my lo was normal just like befrore.

All the best...

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmadeline View Post
    It's interesting that you say it might be formula. I also supplement with formula, but doing it since she was 5 weeks. We stopped for a week and recently reintroduced it. Didn't think it would be that since she seemed fine before. Can I ask which formula you switched to? We use Enfamil LILIP w/ iron.
    Hmm well if she's been on that formula for a while i don't know if gas is the problem in your situation or not. But who knows, sometimes adults will suddenly become allergic to something they've always had before, maybe babies can too with formulas. with my dd we noticed a change right away when I had to stop bf'ing at 2 weeks and switched to formula she started crying a lot. when we switched to similac alimentum she stopped crying and was a different baby overnight.

Have you been eating or drinking anything different lately that might make the baby more gassy than usual?

My 8 week old daughter has been doing this from the time she was 2 weeks old. Most evenings it would start around 4 PM and go on until 10 PM. Some days it is all day long. My last two boys before her did the same thing, never all ay like her though. We were told about a local Natural Healty Pharmacy that developed a "colic medicine" with our last baby. He was a major spitter on top of the fussiness. I was convinced he had reflux, but he gained weight very well so we managed his reflux with this medicine and the previous suggested posts...propping ect.

My daughter is not a major spitter, but she is very slow to gain weight it seems. Doctor believed this was caused by a UTI that was recently diagnosed. However, he also believes she may have reflux. The usual things that help with control are not woeking for her, so she has begun taking Pepcid. I have noticed an immediate difference in her. She is no where near as fussy. If it is something you find intolerable or unbearable, tal to your pediatrician.

This has been a wonderful resource for me...

http://askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp