Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too late for a nurse-in?

Default too late for a nurse-in?

My kiddo hit 1 month this week yet my milk output (judging by pumping first thing in the morning) isn't as high as my midwife and I would like it to be. She has put me on Reglan to increase my supply, yet even now it hasn't helped that much. I'd like to do a nurse-in, but am wondering if it would even help at this point since I've been told the supply sycle is established in the first month. Any thoughts?

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: too late for a nurse-in?

With my 1st lo my lactation consultant told me that the more often the baby eats and the more milk you get out the more you will make, so I would agree that doing a nurse-in for even more than 1 day would defenetly help your supply, it might even take about a week for your milk to catch up. Just trust your lo. HTH

It certainly couldn't hurt, and it might well help. I know of no studies that would indicate that past the first month it is definitely TOO LATE to increase milk supply -- just that it's a lot easier to establish a good supply in the first month or so. Go for it, and let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem, increasing my fluid intake and continuing to breast-feed really increased my milk supply.

Good Luck!!

Thanks all!

I had a prob with supply a little while ago, my midwife put me onto alfalfa, it worked wonders, that and feeding every 1.2 to 2 hours! Good luck!