Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excruciating pain bfing

Default Excruciating pain bfing

My daughter is almost 2 weeks old and we were breastfeeding pretty well until I got a breast infection. My nipples were ravaged because she was not latching on well at all and then as soon as she did she would rip herself off.

Due to the poor condition my nipples were in, I had to pump and bottle feed but I was not getting enough milk to satisfy her. I had to supplement with formula for a few days, about 4-5.

My nipples are finally in decent condition and I just tried to put baby on my breast again and it was EXCRUCIATING! It wasn't the normal latch on pain, it was worse and it didn't go away.

I really want to get back to breast feeding exclusively and w/o the bottle, but I can't stand the pain!! Please help!

Default Re: Excruciating pain bfing

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    heres a link
    My newborn has never really gotten the hang of nursing. How can I get him back to the breast?

do you have a local lll leader? She can help beter then we can on-line.
    heres a link to find a leader
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

heres a link about healing sore nipples
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/heal.html

Hi, welcome to the forum. I sure am sorry to hear all your troubles, how awful! I remember that the first wo weeks, everytime my baby latched on I had this horrible pinching cramping ferocious feeling in the nipple all the way up to the armpit. Turns out it was just breast contractions combined with my let down. I tried breathing exercises, sometimes I cried, but it did get better. It won't last for long!

Do you know about thrush? here's a link just in case its something more serious!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T028100.asp

Mama. I am sure if you are determined to get the baby back to the breast you can. Like the PP said, get in touch with your local LLL leader or an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.

It takes a while for the nipple pain to ease. I never had a latch problem and never had cracking or bleeding, but I still felt exquisite pain from BF. DS is almost 7wks now. Somewhere around one month, the pain associated with latching and sucking decreased noticeably. Now, there is only pressure, which is very tolerable compared to the sharp pain at the beginning. Currently, my nipples have this occasional tingling pain especially when they rub against bra or clothes. Good luck! Hang in there.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing so much pain. Nipple *discomfort* can be considered normal during the early weeks as mother and baby learn together. Pain described as excruciating would not be considered normal. That kind of pain means something is not quite right. Very frequently, the pain signals that something could be improved in the latch and positioning department.

Have you had your latch evaluated by an IBCLC or LLL Leader?

When your baby unlatches, what does your nipple look like? Is it mishapen in any way? Do you notice a stripe down the middle?

What would a stripe down the middle indicate?

A stripe on the nipple after breastfeeding usually indicates that the baby isn't latched deeply enough. It's definitely something you want to try to correct--it can lead to cracked nipples if left unchecked.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time! Definitely go see someone to help you with latch and whatever else might be causing the problems. I had a terrible time in the beginning with pain and I can sympathize! I would end up watching the clock so I could take him off asap! I thought I would die. Hang in there! It will get better! I'm so glad I did. Take care!

Having experienced that excrutiating pain recently, I can totally empathize. It does get better as baby learns to latch correctly, although I noticed some pain while things were healing. A visit to a leader or lactation consultant where they could give you some hands on advise will help you resolve things quicker. I've noticed that, after taking her off and relatching until it's not painful, she's getting better about doing it right the first time.