Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rejecting one breast...why?

Default rejecting one breast...why?

Ah, the trials of breastfeeding continue, as do the questions!

Since we had initial trouble latching on correctly and my right nipple was pretty much useless for feeding b/c it hurt so darn much, I began pumping on that side and feeding Maddie with the left breast only. I pumped for 3-4 days, then eased back into feeding on the right breast by using a nipple shield while the remaining irritations healed. Yesterday I re-introduced the bare breast and she refuses to take it! She'll take a taste, then release her grip and make a face. She feeds fine on the other side. I've tried different positions and none of them resolve the problem...anyone had this happen? I went back to pumping after this morning's feeding and will continue to pump & freeze until things get better to keep my supply up. I'll keep offering thr right breast and just hope she gets over her little adversion!

Oh, she was ok when I used the nipple shield on that side, but I really want to discontinue using it for good. It's slippery and doesn't seem to encourage good latch on technique, and I've read it can affect the milk supply.

Thoughts?

Default Re: rejecting one breast...why?

I used a nipple shield too - and they get used to that taste... at least mine did. My LLL leader suggested offering her that breast bare - first each time, and eventually she took it just like the other one.

Default Re: rejecting one breast...why?

I've heard of people expressing some milk and spreading it on their nipple before offering the breast so that the milk is right there for her to taste. When ds was only a few days old, he prefered one breast too, so I always tried to feed him from the one he disliked first. After a little while he was so darned hungry he just latched right on. It was frustrating and tearful but it worked.