Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush?

Question Thrush?

Hmm, I am hearing all sorts of things that can be thrush. I do not have obvious symptoms but have other smaller ones which could be bad latching or thrush. How to know?

We are three months into this now and an IBCLC came to see us at two months because BFing was so painful. I thought we had a good latch, but did not. I wasn't getting enough nipple in there and not pressing my breast against his face tight enough. She said his frenulum was a bit short and something was a bit off with the palate, but she said both were ok, just not perfect. She also said he had a very strong suck and that I did not have thrush. I also have large breasts (36E/F), if this is an issue.

I got milk blisters a week ago, and they have gone away but still healing and I have some dull aching.

There isn't any white in his mouth. My nipples look normal, is a bit scarred looking. I do get some dull aching. Sometimes when he nurses I do hear clicking. I try to get him to take the whole nipple but he does not like to open his mouth wide and if I wait he SCREAMS and then won't take anything. So I cram the nipple in once he has latched.

Thrush? or just poor latching? Nursing is not great, but not awful. I rarely scream (ha! not joking though), the hour comfort nursing does get pretty sore. Is that all it is or should I try gentian violet for four days??

Default Re: Thrush?

Hi Dryad,

It sounds like you are having some challenges! The only way to know for *sure* if you have thrush is to treat you AND your baby at the same time and see if it goes away. Both of you need to be treated for about 14 days *past* the point of having symptoms. Yeastie beasties are extraodinarily hardy, so you want to be sure you are treating effectively and move on.

Here are some good links to info about thrush: Is thrush causing my sore nipples? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

and

Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

If you *know* your baby has a tight/short frenulum, that would cause the pain and the clicking. Any bit of a tie is an issue and can be problematic, regardless of side to side tongue mobility or the ability to extend it over the gum line. The tie still interferes with a normal sucking pattern, and that is can really be a problem.

You have to treat for thrush to conclusively rule it out, of course, but there is nothing wrong with tackling the "known" varianble that you have frenulum issues. Getting the frenulum clipped is an easy procedure and can often produce relief soon after. Mother or baby can have no symptoms and still have thrush. Dogs can have thrush. Dads can have thrush. Surfaces harbor thrush.

You can find more information on that here: http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/
    and an *excellent* article here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay02p27.html. I have a pdf with pictures, but it's too big to upload right now; let me get back to you. If you im me, I believe I can send it to you that way...

Dy, pain while nursing is NOT normal, and it's not ok. There is a cause, and once you identify what is causing the pain, you can correct it. Do you have a local LLL Leader? Please do give her a call- she can send you more information on thrush and help you with positioning.

Positioning is important- wait for the gape. If your nipple (and babies breastfeed, not nipple feed so make sure your baby is getting a lot of your areola in his mouth) is very large and your baby's mouth is very small, you may have to try a nipple sandwhich to get more of your areola in his mouth until he physically gets a little bit bigger. You can also try an asymmetrical latch; pictures here: http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...latchtalk.html (not an LLL link, but a good one) or you can find more on positioning here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html.

I hope you are able to contact your local Leader and get to the comfortable, enjoyable nursing! Keep us posted!

Tallis

I suffered for three months with "thrush" although my daughter never showed any symptoms. It was excruciating pain. At first I said, "This is normal, everyone has pain at first". The only problem was, it didn't go away and got worse. It was so bad that I would cry and scream every time I nursed my daughter, worst pain of my life!!!! Some have described such an infection as glass being rubbed into your nipples or a stabbing pain. Mine was a super painful burning! To rid us of the thrush, we tried everything! You just have to find the right combination of meds for yourself. Along with this we struggled a bit with the latch as well. My daughter would "click" and in order to keep her from doing this I would apply gentle pressure under her chin in a stroking forward motion to keep her tongue forward. This helped a lot in keeping the latch! I know how it feels to have to deal with a lot of bumps in the road so I definitely feel your pain. I hope that you don't have to deal with this for too much longer!

Well, clear blister number three just appeared on my left nipple, so pain is not going to be over soon....

Help.... I am nursing a 11 mo old (#4) and have been battleing a yeast issue for about 2 months on my nipples. I did Gentian Violet on me for about 3 days and it has come back. I did not think she had it so I did not treat her... I think it was a waste of time. What should I do now? I hate the Gentian Violet stuff but if that will do the trick, treating both of us then I'll do it again. Does eatying a ton of yogurt help?? I am also 6 weeks pregnant and perhaps that is adding to the tenderness issue but I did not want to wean yet. Please help! Thanks

The directions I have for Gentian Violet are posted on KellyMom. You did not treat you & and baby correctly, so I'd try that again.

Dryad, how are you doing? Have you ascertained that it is indeed thrush that you're dealing with?

The clear blisters on the nipples *could* be thrush, but they could also be due to a not-quite-right latch.

Don't have the GV yet. The blisters are becoming easier to bear. I do think it's abrasion/latch. The problem likely is due to me not squishing my breast on him because I CAN seal off his nose this way and I'm paranoid that after him nursing for an hour, I might smother him. I have to smash and push down to leave his nose open.

Three month growth spurt. *sigh* He's grouchy and wants to nurse. I need to pop him in the sling for a nap.

Babies' noses are built with flared nostrils so they can breathe, even if looks like they are being smothered by the breast. I only mention this because you say you have to hold breast tissue out of the way of his nose--even a bit of that can reposition the nipple inside his mouth, which may be contributing to your nipple soreness and injury. Try just letting him nurse without pushing the tissue out of the way--of course if he seems to have trouble breathing, help him out! But you might be surprised at how well he can breathe still.

I also very much second the assymetrical latch that LLLTallis recommended. With this latch, baby's head is tipped back more than a "traditional" latch, so that could help keep him breathe a little easier too.
    Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Change his latch, eh? Not as easy as it sounds! My wee one does not like to be positioned. If he's irritated he sort of circles around the boob and puts up his hands to block his mouth! Kind of funny actually, except when he's guarding a bad latch!