Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: human pacifier

Default human pacifier

Hi everyone,

My Babygirl Emily is 6weeks now, she is my 3rd child. I love nursing her - about every 3 hours, but she uses me also as her human pacifier.
    I try to give her a pacifier (I bought 3 different ones)but she doesnt like to take him at all.
    She needs only the breast.....after a few sups (when she is done with nursing and her tummy is full) she falls asleep. When I put her in the crib after a few minutes she wakes up again, start to cry and wont stop till she gets my breast again. So she stucks on my nippel for very long and I cant get things done in the house. I am happy if I can use the bathroom and take a shower.

Will she every get used to a pacifier maybe when she is a little older?
    I had no problems with my other 2 girls (18y and 19y).

Is anyone a human pacifier too and how do you handle this?

Thanks for any advice
    Angy

Default Re: human pacifier

The early months can be hard and frustrating when you can't get anything done in between nursings. I'm going through this again now too. Breasts are what nature intended for pacifying babies though! Pacifiers and other soothers are poor substitutes. If you let your baby suck all she wants to now you'll find that she will gradually space her feedings out in time. Try to do your other tasks in small bursts and get everyone to help whenever possible.

My attitude at the moment is if any one doesn't like all this mess, then they can sort it for me. A happy baby makes for a happy family. I wish the other kids would help more with tidying though! Any tips for getting them to put their toys away?

I too was a human pacifier for the first few months. My daughter Summer seemed to want to nurse for hours at a time, and I wasn't able to get much done. But overnight that seemed to change, and one day I realized how busy an 11 month old she is! I agree with the last poster, babies weren't supposed to suck on plastic/rubber nipples! You are giving your baby the best right now, don't worry, this too shall pass!

I recommend a sling. My baby also needs to touch me constantly, but it has been getting better, he's nearly three months now and sometimes he'll hang out near me and not demand the breast!

I second the suggestion of a sling or other type of baby carrier. It may be the closeness that your baby is craving, in which case, she may be content to just be near you while you go about your day. Sometimes it can get really frustrating when you want to get something done, and you put baby down and they wake up and cry again a few minutes later! Just keep repeating that this will pass (it really does! I live to tell about it), and there will come a time when you will be able to get things done without a baby attached. Until then, adjusting expectations and routines so that you can try to get some things done WITH baby, is what saves many moms' sanity.

Good luck to you!

My daughter did that exact thing right from the start. I thought she was just using me as a pacifier, but turns out she wasn't nursing properly. She was was doing non-nutritive sucking. Thankfully I had a lot of help getting that problem fixed. I'm sure that's not your issue, since she's already six weeks old. I agree that a sling could help, or letting her suckle your pinky? My daughter would allow my husband to use his pinky as a pacifier sometimes too. I hope this resolves for you soon!!!!

I second the sling that worked well for my dd.
    the other thing if I realy wanted her to lay down for a nap I would lay down with her on our bed. that way I could just un latch her and she didn't have to be moved or put down. Ithink thats what wakes them up most of the time.

One thing that helped me during the endless hours and hours of nursing my son in the beginning, was just to change my thought process. I began to switch around the thought of my baby using me as a pacifier. Anytime he took a pacifier (for the one minute he would take one), I realized he was using it as a fake breast.... not using me as a pacifier. Realizing this helped me cope and helped me realize that I needed to adjust my expectations in order to stay sane and happy. He eventually outgrew the nonstop nursing sessions and I miss them now I used a sling a lot, I learned how to nurse in them while walking and doing other things, so that I didn't feel confined to a bed or chair all day. It made my life so much easier when I was able to latch baby on while walking through the grocery store
    oh and about your question about getting the baby to take a pacifier. I tried in teh beginning to get my son to take one, but he didn't like it. I stopped pushing the issue because of the fact that all the stimulation at my nipples kept my milk supply great, kept nipple confusion at bay, and overall gave us a better nuring experience than I had with my first. So, it is up to you and what you desire. That is just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlingthrough
    Breasts are what nature intended for pacifying babies though! Pacifiers and other soothers are poor substitutes.
    Exactly! I wish someone had told me that when ds was a newborn. I refused to buy a pacifer, but everyone kept telling me "he's using you as a human pacifier; you can't let him do that". Well, let me tell you, you can let him do that! Around 5 mo when he learned to crawl, he suddenly didn't need to be snuggling with mommy 24/7. At 9 mo, he still loves to nurse (at least 8 times a day) and be held often, but he also loves to spend time by himself exploring the house and playing with his toys.

The sling suggestion is great. Also, your baby may be going through a growth spurt right now and need that extra milk! Don't be suprised if it happens again around 3 months.

My lifesaver at night was to take my ds in to bed with me (do not do this if you are under any kind of influence.) If you are not comfortable with this you can get a co-sleeper (a side car crib that attaches to your bed) on ebay for about a third of the retail price. To find out more information about cosleepers look up 'arms reach co-sleeper' on any search engine.

During the day (like when you need to shower) it also helped to put my ds down in his bouncer with the vibrations on.
    -Kristie
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; January 16th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.