Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cold weather pumping

Smile Cold weather pumping

Ok, I will admit, I am a Southerner and I know you moms up North will laugh but...here goes.

I live in the South East USA and the weather has been horribly cold getting (to me) down to 20 at night. I grew up in sunny FL so I hate the cold. Since the most recent cold snap has started my milk seems to be fluctuating greatly. If I am inside my work home for an extended period of time then I can pump fine. If I go outside anytime a couple of hours before pumping I can barely get 1/3 the amount I normally get. It is not related to the time of day - just exposure to cold.

Any suggestions? If nothing else, I gave everyone a good laugh at my fear of cold weather! I bet my baby wears more clothing to protect her from the cold than most babies up north! Hee Hee.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Cold weather pumping

I hate the cold too and when I pump now I turn on a space heater near me and I boil the parts so they are warm just before I pump. Sometimes I even use an electric blanket around me. I just hate being cold and I read somewhere if you are cold, you will get less milk.

I wouldn't be able to answer you about what cold weather does to supply - it's been a balmy 85 degrees in our house since I gave birth 2 mos. ago! i thought our thermostat had broken since I had to have it up so high to be comfortable until the repair man said nope, works just fine! My husband never said a word, poor guy, and he would gladly move us up to Alaska if it were up to him! needless to say, we are slowly weaning mommy from the heat, as it's not good for baby (risk of sids). But boy, was my face red when I found out it was just me all this time!

I don't know if you can get a hold of those little Warm Hand/Feet things, it's a little pad- you can find them in the sporting goods dept. at Wal-Mart. I live in Minnesota ( it's COLD!!!) & occasionally will tuck them in my bra a little while before I need to pump. Keeps 'em nice & warm :-D The cold will drop your supply, it's important to stay comfy & warm.

those little hand warmers are a great idea. they would probably help out when i get clogged ducts also. i never thought of that, thanks for mentioning it.

What a great idea!! I never thought of the hand heat packs but I have used them camping before!! Great idea!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I'm SOO glad no one made fun of me about the heat packs.....I'm always cold, so I just tuck 'em in my bra :-D And it does help with the milk too.

Cold doesn't decrease production, but it could inhibit letdown.

Many mothers wrap a blanket around their shoulder and use a space heater in their pumping area to help keep the chill off.

Exclamation Re: Cold weather pumping

Wow!! I just ude the heat pack, blanket and space heater idea and lots of milk came out!! Sadly, there was a spill - see http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=15624 for a laugh about the milk mess I had in my office today!